Heritage of Zandalar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deras' story

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Deras' story Empty Deras' story

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:07 pm

He sat staring out over the water falls of the Redridge mountains, the view was not lost on Deras, but his mind had started wandering, all around him were Elves, and members of the Greywolf Tribe. The transition from warrior and killer of the Firesong Legion to the peaceful healer he had become a difficult, Looking round faces haunted him, had he killed any of those whom these now friendly elves loved or cared for, Deras was also swamped by powerful urges to take his weapon and strike down all those who would have once called him an enemy.
It would be so easy to do just raise my hand and call forth the destructive powers of nature.
He cut his thought of before he could complete it.
No, I am a Greywolf, and as such I shall not raise my hand for any purpose than the defence of myself, my home, and my family and friends.
He thought back to his childhood, it hadn’t been bad, but all the other calves were almost scared of the power that the young druid had, even before his training in Moonglade, so he never had any friends. Oh how he missed his father, the only person who ever loved him.

A loud bang roused the aging druid from his thoughts, a rogue, had tried to fight Nemon but the hunters pet scorpid, Vidar was defending his master well, the rogue turned to flee, but Vidar was enraged, the rogue had no chance against the scorpids deadly claws and poisonous sting
Foolish elf, does she not realise that she is no longer immortal? But that is none of my concerne
Thought the druid and returned to his place on the rock jutting out over the drop. He looked skywards and prayed silently
Father, have I made you proud, would you welcome me as the son you knew, or would you abbandon me like my real parents. The only thing I ever wanted to do was make you happy, as you made me happy, but now, I guess, that will never happen.
A breeze picked up and tiny water drops landed in the black fur of the silent figure, his mane moved , a voice seemed to be carried on the wind, Deras almost heard it, then it was gone, just like the wind.
Almost as suddenly a small brightly coloured bird landed on the big shoulder of the tauren
“So do I make you proud?” Deras whispered to the bird, the song came back was delicate and almost heart brakingingly beautiful, “Thank you.” was the reply, with that the bird took flight skywards, Deras looked at the bird until he could no longer see it.

After a while his thoughts began to change, in his mind he saw a female tauren whose fur was midnight black, and then there where her soft and gentle eyes, and the care and love in her voice
Oh Thanora, where are you? I wish to finally meet you my sister, How mush longer must I be separated from you?
A voice called out in his mind You must have patients, we will meet when the time is right. He had hoped that it was her speaking to him again, it wasn’t, it was his memory repeating what his sister had said to him the last time they had met on the astral plane, life, thought the druid, was playing him a hand of cards, but not reviling them to him
I will wait if I must, but I do not know how much longer I will be I this world, I grow weary of it.
Deras was shocked by the very thought, how could he be, yes he had seen a lot, more than some would care to think about, but he had no give in him, he would not, could not give up
I will go on, I have a new family, the greywolf tribe is my family, I shall not give up on them.
A voice called his name, it was Hinun, one of the other druids in the greywolf tribe
“Time to go.”
Deras rose to his hooves and joined the other members of his family, after saying their farewells, the group of taurens left. Deras still fighting his emotions left quietly not saying anything to anybody on the trip back to what he called home, Mulgore.

((all these tales are directly from the GWT forum))

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Deras' story Empty Re: Deras' story

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:08 pm

The tunnel was dark but not damp as most caverns are, the only light came from the entrance but that was taken up by the large figure of the druid that stood there, from somewhere deep inside a voice screamed at him
“You are not welcome here anymore, you no longer have the instincts of a warrior to carry you though, turn and run away, like you did to you life. You are week now, soft and enter you will die. Why not enter and meet your fate!” The voice started to laugh
“Your voice is hollow as are your threats, I may have changed but I am stronger than before, I will not turn, I will not run and I will never die here.” bellowed Deras, a shower of small stones and dust fell from the cave roof turning the jet black fur into a grey-brown colour. The druid stepped forwards following the path of the tunnel he was in, he did not know how long he had been walking or which direction. After awhile the Tauren stepped into a large cavernous room, it was strange but there were no stalactites as would be normal in caves and underground passages,. Walking to the centre of the room he heard the laughing voice “You come to die you old fool, then come and dance, the dance of death with me, but first…” the voice came echoing out of a tunnel and reverberated round Deras’ head, suddenly screams tore though the silence, around a dozen or so more men charged out of the shadow
“I do not wish to fight you but if you leave me no choice, I will” said the druid in he deep voice, the men kept screaming and running. The first died as he was engulfed in a massive magic blast that came out of the heavens the second dropped after several bolts of green energy slammed into his chest, a few more died when a storm suddenly appeared inside the cave, lighting charring them, the smell of burning flesh started to fill the cavern, but there were still more left. Deras hefted his staff into both hands and swung it at the nearest attacker, there came a sickening sound of bones snapping under the impact, then he was borne down by the last few attackers, the voice called out
“See how you now die!” the laugh was a screeching, piercing laugh that was cut sort when a bestial roar sounded from the pile of moving bodies, then it started to heave, finally the attackers were all sent flying and where the pile had once been now stood a mighty horned bear, many of those who attacked him lay dead and unmoving, the roar came again and now Deras was standing where the bear had been only moments before. Movement behind the Druid caught his attention, the last of the mysterious attackers rose to his feet,
To close to cast, and my staff is to far away, and standing where it is my bear form cant get to him thought the druid, then the thought came to him, I can still get I. Running forwards towards the lone faceless thing, Deras leapt and changed form again, this time into a sleek horned lion, the cat slammed into the last opponent, and with teeth and claw ripped into the thing that had been the last of those who had attacked him, it fell. Stalking back to the centre of the cave the cats form blurred and the Tauren stood in its place. “Happy now, that you would needlessly throw lives away?” There was no reply, the druid looked himself over to find cuts to his arms and back, casting his healing spell, the cuts all healed up almost instantly the longer ones took a little long, but soon they were gone as well, he turned picked up his staff and left the chamber.

Deeper and deeper Deras went, not knowing whether he was going up or down, or even the amount of time that had passed since his fight in the large cavern, the voice still mocked the druid, but not with the venom it had, Deras knew that he had shocked the owner of the voice by defeating the would be killers. Finally he came to a small square chamber, it was obvious that this was man made, all along the wall touches flickered, giving an appearance that the walls were alive and moving, but this wasn’t what had caught the eye of the large Tauren, there stood another just like him.
“So you have come at last, you will not leave this place, this is your tomb. You are weak.”
The figure had black fur, the horns came forwards over the shoulders, these were black as well, Deras realised he was looking at himself.
“Of course I am you didn’t you realise that? You truly are a fool. NOW YOU DIE” screamed the other Deras, rushing forwards, his large hammer raised swung at the druid who had just entered the room, but he had disappeared.
“Just like you to run and hide, coward, it is me that should be, out there, you are to weak.” spat the now inflamed Tauren with the hammer
“No, I have found a peace that I did not have before, when you roamed the world you killed and destroyed thing, you will never be aloud into the light again. I do not run and hide, I am merely waiting.” came the response. The Tauren that was now standing there spun round, but did not see anything. Out of the darkness the cat crept closer to it prey, inching slowly towards the back of its victim, suddenly without warning it pounced on the back of it foe, the blow stunned the Tauren, soon the claw sank into the skin, ripping though flesh and armour alike, the hammer of the other Deras slammed down and sent the cat reeling.
“Ha, you think you can beat me on your own, NEVER.” yelled the wounded druid
“But I am never alone anymore, I get strength from my family.”
“You don’t have a family.”
“But I do, they are the Greywolf Tribe, Mya, Bovinus, Hinun, Atora, Nemon and all the rest, we draw strength from each other, a strength you shall never know.”
The chamber filled with light, the Deras that held the staff began to glow brighter and brighter
“You are the last of my shadows, you shall not be welcome here or anywhere else.”
The hammer wielding druid charged the glowing Deras, they fought desperately, knowing that only one would ever return to the light above this place, but with each hit the dark Deras was landing, a shard of light would lance thought the hammers head, down the handle to the Tauren causing more pain to flow though him.
“Deras!” a voice cut though the darkness bring the druid back to himself, the voice belonged to Myandra. “I thought it was only Atora that fell asleep during these meetings
“Sorry Mya, it wont happen again” A small smile touched the corners of the druids mouth as he looked round the group
This is my family, and they do give me a new type of strength, thought the black Tauren.
He also knew that the old him was slowly being beaten, it may take more time, but now i know i can stay the way I am, and not slide back into the fighter I once was.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:17 pm

Deras sat far removed from the meeting, his thoughts had started to wander, what had started this mind walk he wandered, then he knew, it was the declaration of love by Lorne for Myandra, the druid wasn’t jealous but saddened for it reminded him of a time, when he was still young and full of ideal and emotions, before the death of Faran, his adoptive father, when he was still studying in Moonglade. A face hovered in his thought, no more than a ghost, the face began to form, Deep blue eyes, with a fierce glint in them but also a gentle and most importantly intelligence hiding just behind them, her jet black fur, shimmering in the predawn light, it was so soft to the touch that it felt more like each hair was made of the finest silk, her horns short and perfectly formed, to the black druid, she was perfect, as if the earth mother had decided to take a form and fill it. It made is heart heavy, his head bowed and his eyes closed, Deras remembered back to those days, at first she had totally ignored him, not even a polite hello. After a few months, she began to responded to the trainee druids acknowledgements, a nod here and a smile there, but it was those smiles that drove the young druid on, they seamed like the sun had shone, but it was only ever a short smile, for the young Shadowhorn was shy, and could not speak much more to this Taurette, more time passed and the seasons passed Deras became more and more confidant, but it was not until he heard a conversation between her and a group of her friends that he was able to try to make his move. He had herd her say that her leather jerkin had been badly ripped and the tailor had said that they couldn’t do anything that he spoke up
“I’ve been taught how to make and repair leather good, perhaps I could take a look at it?” she turned at looked at him with the deep blue eyes
“You? Hmpf can’t be any worse than the tailor I suppose. Wait here.” She replied and walked off. The female druid returned with her leather jerkin draped over her arm, with out saying a word she dumped the ruined article on the table in front of Deras. The young male took up the leather and looked at it and saw a large tear in one of the chest pieces.
“Is that all? Ill fix this for you before the end of the week.” he said with quiet confidents. Taking the jacket with him, he returned to his room, scattered about the place were several scraps of leather, with great care the druid removed the sleeve and then the torn panel of leather, carefully putting both pieces to one side, he gathered up enough scraps of leather, and with the knowledge his hunter father had shown him, turned them into a large piece of leather, it took him several days to mark out the new panel, cut it, and then sow the three parts together again, it was on the final day that she came to his room to find out what he was doing with her jerkin
“Haven’t you done yet Shadowhorn?” She asked in a n angry tone
“Done, good as new.” he replied holding the jerkin up for her, the young black taurette’s eyes softened
“Thank you so much, this was a gift from my father before I left my home” she whispered tears forming in the corners of her eyes, she flung her arms out and then hugged Deras, If he blushed, he didn’t feel it, and nether did she.

The pair remained friends although Deras did wish it would go further but kept quiet about that fact. Then one day on around the eight year of his studies she came to him
“Could you make some new leather clothing? I don’t like the items that they make here in Moonglade.”
“Hmm, I will need some more leather, I seam to be running low on it.” was all he replied “ I know, I’ll right to my father asking for more leather. Though I will need measurement so I know how much extra to ask for.” She looked almost angry, in fact she was very angry “My father sends me a small supply of leather, each winter, but it is not enough to make a full set of leathers for you.” the young taurettes eyes softened, a sure sign that her anger had gone, they both rose, Deras to get his cord for measuring, whilst she removed all her outer garments. The young Shadowhorn turned and saw his friend standing there semi-naked and a sharp pang hit him in the heart, he saw again how beautiful she was, as he approached the young taurette she turned and asked
“Do you think I’m pretty Deras?” Half stunned he still managed a reply
“I think you are the most beautiful thing in all Moonglade.” the response had been startling for the apprentice druid, she ran forwards and embraced him, then she proceeded to kiss him, gently at first but then with more passion, and he responded in kind. The set of leathers was made, it was the finest work that Deras Shadowhorn had ever done, but he didn’t care he was happy, he was in love with the black taurette. It was on the tenth year that he had proposed to her, it came as a shock to her, and she said yes with out a thought, that was the happiest day of his life. He had asked to go and tell his father the good news and was given a period of time in which to see his father, he had promised her that he would come back afterwards so that they could be mates for life, in the traditional ceremony at Moonglade. He never did return to her, his lust for blood had driven her from his mind, and now she was back in there, he wondered what had become of his mate-to-be, had she waited, had she gone off with another, was she alive or was she dead, he had no idea. ‘What was her name?’ he thought to himself, ‘why can I not remember her name. I guess it make no difference now, that was over twenty years ago, she probably wont remember me at all.’ But that still didn’t stop the hurt coming in. the druid was pulled back from his thoughts by the strong smell of alcohol. Opening his eyes he saw Nemon sitting beside him drinking his forth mug of ale.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:19 pm

The smells came to him in a rush, he could smell the dew damp grass, the birds flying though the tree tops, the cat could hear sound normally not heard, the shape shifted druid could smell hear and see things normally others could not. The cat was the shape that would suit the purpose of what he had come to do. Deras could remember the day as clearly as if it had happened yesterday, it was the day that his teachers had taught him his final form, that of the swift cheetah
“Now that you have learnt all the forms of the animals that we can take, there is a trial for you to complete. In the centre of a clearing there is something of great strength and wisdom, bring it to me and thus your training is complete.”
“I understand, but may I ask where this clearing is?”
“You will know it when are there.” Was all the aging druid replied. Deras left his mentor and friend and went to his room and looked about deciding what to take, some food and some water he thought, perhaps his skinning knife and some thread, just in case, he also saw his little wooden flute, why not he though, I could always us it to remove my mind from other matters . He felt arms move around his waist and her soft steady breathing on his shoulder, the male druid spun quickly and caught her in an embrace, then gently kissed her on the lips.
“Deras my love, are you leaving?” she asked, her voice soft and gentle
“Not for very long, Thalarn has asked me to go into a clearing and find something of power for him, I do not know how long I will be gone, but it should not be more than a few days.”
“I understand, know that I will always love you my Shadowhorn.”
“And I you, my love” They embraced again.

When morning came Deras rose and left his small room, he looked back and saw her lying there in his bed, they had shared the bed but only held each other, it was nothing physical, with a long drawn out sigh, he turned, picked up his pack and left the room. Once outside Deras changed form into the swift cheetah and ran, he marvelled at the speed he run at, and the efficacy of the beast, his claws digging into the damp turf. The cheetah made its way though the forest, then almost suddenly he felt a pull of to one side, He changed shape and then again into the stealthy cat form, then prowling forwards then stopped, The cats ears, eyes, and nose straining to find any traces of trouble, he could smell the dew damp grass, and birds flying though the trees, he could hear the faint whisper of the wind though the trees the odd rodent running thought the long grass, all sorts of sensations came to him, but nothing of any danger, confused Deras slowly moved into the clearing and looked around, it was empty, changing form the druid looked around angrily
“How could this be? This feels like the place, but there is nothing of power here.” He stormed, he felt like going back, but then would that mean he had failed, there must be something. Frustrated and angry he sat down with his back against a tree and looked up he saw that the sun was now dipping behind the trees, he realised that he was quite hungry, as he had not eaten all day, rummaging though his back pack, Deras felt a piece of paper, he wondered what it could have been and he didn’t remember putting anything like that in his bag,, slowly and carefully he removed it and looked at the piece of paper

Dear Deras
I know that I am not with you when you read this, but remember always that I love you and you are in my heart. I know that when we first met I was cold to you, but I was shy and could not speak what was in my heart, I believe that the same was for you also. Know that you have great strength, but not just of your arms, but also of your heart and mind, as well as great wisdom. I am proud to call you mine and hope that you feel the same way
With all my heart and love
Niana Sharptusk

The letter brought a tear to his eye, but reading it though again, he found the answer to what had been set, there was something of great wisdom and strength in the glade, and it had been right under his nose the whole time, the thing was himself, it was Deras Shadowhorn. Rummaging though his pack the young druid pulled out his small wooden flute and played, the tune came unbidden, after, a few notes entered the air, a small song bird landed on the druids shoulder and started to sing with the melody of the flute. Not long after the small glade was full of a single song, but the birds added their own undertones to it, lifting the song to an even greater height. The Young taurette stood at the edge of the clearing, her midnight fur shimmering in the breeze, her face streaming with tears, she had never heard something so beautiful or so profound. She longed to be with the tauren she loved, but yet she did not want to spoil this moment, slowly and quietly she turned and walked away not trusting her self to speek. Whilst play Deras heard a sound on the other side of the clearing, then he smelt a familiar perfume and knew that Niana stood not far from where he played, but he did not move to her, he just carried on playing. The druid did not know how long he had played for, nor did he care but after the birds had left he opened his eyes to see that the moon had risen and the pale light shone and seamed to drain away the colour of the land, but Deras knew this to be an illusion of the mind.

The Following morning Deras rose and left for the druid village of Nighthaven, the place he had called home for over eight years,. On his return he went straight to his tutor
“So Deras Shadowhorn have you found what I sent you to find?”
“Yes, I believe so, and I bring it to you now.”
“Then where is it?” the elderly druid asked
“It stands before you, it has the name, given to it by the earth mother and the name of it is Deras Shadowhorn” he replied calmly
“Very good, very good. Most do not find that the thing we send them out is in fact themselves, may I ask how you found this out?”
“You may, and my answer is that I had help, it took someone else to help me realise what you sort after was in fact me.”
“And who was this help may I ask?”
“It was Niana Sharptusk.”
“Ahhhh, I see.” Was the only reply the old tauren came out with “Why don’t you go and say thank you to your fellow student?” He knows, thought Deras but I don’t mind, I would as sooner climb a tree and shout it from the highest branches than keep it secret the said to himself in the quiet of his mind. Entering his room his nostrils where filled with a sweet perfume, the one he had smelt out in the clearing, he knew that she was not far away
“Thank you my love, for your letter helped me find what I sought.”
“Oh.” she replied as a tear stood in her eye
“May I ask you something?” she merely nodded not trusting her self to speak, “Why did you not join me in the clearing?” She said nothing but ran forwards, and embraced him, the started to kiss him. They stood entwined in each others arms for what seamed like hours, but none of that really mattered two the two druids.

Ahh, Now I remember your name Niana and I thank you Deras said in the quiet of his mind, I wish thing had been different, but I hope that you are happy were ever you maybe, a tear started to form in his eye then a sudden shout pulled him back from his contemplation
“Uncle Deras, who were you talking to?” Said Amya as she wrapped her arms around his thick neck
“Oh, no-one in particular.” he replied, rising and hugged Amya back

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Deras sat on the half log bench on the top rise of Thunder Bluff, but almost immediately his back started to ache, raising to his feet, he strode a few paces forwards and sat on the soft grass, carefully he put his hands in the small of his back and arched his back and a few joints cracked in protest mumbling a few choice words under his breath, Deras could still feel the scar from the blade, but the worse pain came from his knee, the bone had still not mended together after all these years and walking for a long period of time would mean that it would give out underneath him making him walk as though he was drunk, it was even worse in the summer, the heat made the old injury flare up even worse, some times it gave way altogether and he would collapse to the floor in pain, he remembered the fight well for he had been long with the Firesong Legion, almost 28 years, most of his wounds from those days of battle were now a spiritual pain, the lose of who he had been, the leaving of his betrothed and many more things like it.

The weather was foul, the rain came not down but horizontally forced by the fierce wind that howled though the mountains of Redrige, it was the kind of weather that even the most foolish or brave would stay indoors from, Deras was no fool, and his bravery had been noted by the officers of the Legion, but he still moved forwards, he had no choice, a message had to begotten though to the Legions leader Orannis Vulshock, most where busy fighting else where so the job had fallen to him. The druids fur clung to him and was drenched with water, and the soaked fur clung to the tauren’s flesh, it made him uncomfortable, and to make matters worse, water dripped inside his clothing, make him feel even worse, so he was unprepared when the ambush came, they were murlocs and they came out of the water screaming at the top of their lungs, before he had a chance to react, Deras felt a sharp blow to the lower back and toppled forwards, the black druid felt knives stabbing at him, but many bounced of the thick leather armour he was wearing, slowly Deras rose to his hooves and swung his fists catching a few in the head, the sound of bone snapping under his huge fists felt good and somehow right as well, then stooping he reached down and picked up his war hammer and swung wide arcs with it though the air smashing though murlocs heads, chests and hastily raised weapons to ward of the mighty blows, then with out warning his left knee gave out as a sharp pain flooded over him, looking down Deras saw a murloc with a large mace blood and flesh where hanging from the cruel barbs that edged the weapon, with a mighty blow the enraged druid brought down his hammer and crushed the murloc, reducing it to a crushed pulp. The remaining murlocs swarmed all over him, five left and Deras was bleeding badly from his back and his knee, his vision started to swim, blackness started to swamp him, but before his strength gave way he shape shifted into a bear throwing the last murlocs from him sending flying though the air, a few landed badly and broke limbs one even broke its neck, the last remaining creature threw a spear at the bear but the throw was not powerful enough to pierce the thick hide of the beast, finally shape shifting back into his normal form and called forth a blast of power that came streaking from the heavens and engulfed the fleeing murloc obliterating it totally, just before passing out Deras managed to cast his healing spells, sealing up all the wounds, but the one in his back and the crushed knee did not heal fully, then the wet and bloody druid passed out.

When the druid awoke he had no idea of how much time had passed or where he was, but when he opened his eyes he could just make out a low beamed ceiling, slowly his vision started to clear, looking round he could see that the room he was in was small yet clean, looking down he saw that his left knee and his lower torso had been bandaged, he also noticed that his feet hung of the end of the bed that he lay in, to his right the sun shone in though a window, the rain and wind had gone. The wounded tauren heard the door creak open, and there before him stood a Night elf female, her hair was as white as snow, yet her skin was almost purple, beside her walked a cat, almost as black as his own fur, the druid tried to raise himself out of the bed but found that he had no strength, so he then settled to glaring at her angrily, whilst he was staring at her, the cat had moved quietly to beside the bed, then it placed its head on the covers starring with its large luminous yellow eyes at the black tauren, with out thinking Deras moved a hand and rested it on the head of the cat, slowly he made out the voice of the cat
“Please do not be alarmed, my mistress and I only wish you to get better.”
“How is it that I am here and not dead?” he replied silently
“My mistress has a kind heart, as I believe you to have as well, just because we are on different sides does not mean we should always fight.”
“May I ask the name of you mistress?”
“Her name is Nisha Leafsong and mine is Shadow.”
“Thank you, and can you thank your mistress for me as well.”
“Why not thank her yourself?”
“Because we speak totally different languages.”
“Then thank her in a different way.” With that the mind link between the druid and the cat broke off
It took several days for Deras to regain his strength, around the end of the second week a group of people came to the little hut, Deras could here the angry shouts of the people outside, but the Huntress stood her ground, and with the calm musical voice that she had, told them some thing, but the language was lost on him, but he knew enough, raising himself from the bed the druid decided that the easiest way to deal with the situation was to use trickery, so he shape shifted himself into his cheetah form, as it was the only form that didn’t carry over his horns, silently he padded out to the door, the huntress looked down at him with a puzzled look, the cheetah looked up and winked, the relief in her face showed only momentarily before she turned her face back, allowed the men into her cabin, the search took only minuets, as a tauren would have very little in the way of hiding places, satisfied the men left the small cabin muttering under their breaths. Nisha turned and closed the door and started to laugh, she then crouched and hugged the shape shifted druid, then shape shifting back into his normal form Deras lifted the small elf of the floor, she had no weight to her. The druid stayed for a few more weeks as his strength returned to him, he helped her in any way that he could, that normally meant that he skinned the animals that she hunted, to begin with Nisha was quite shocked when the large tauren sharpened her skinning knife, and set about working on the rabbits, dear, wolves and other animals.

It was late one night when Shadow burst thought the door of the cabin, the look on the cats face told Deras everything, no words where necessary, coming to his feet Deras took up his war hammer then changed in to the form of the cheetah and followed the black cat out into the night, it didn’t take long to find the elf, she had slipped down a cliff face and lay dead at the bottom, rummaging though his packs the druid removed a small seed and placed it on the corpse of the elf, bowing his head Deras focused all his energy though the seed and into the dead huntress, it took a few moment but the elf suddenly gasped for air, then finally the druid cast his strongest healing spell, healing all the wounds and breaks that she had suffered in the fall, sinking to his hunches, Deras took deep breaths, the eyes of both Nisha and shadow were full of thanks, finally the black tauren rose to his hooves before blurring into the form of the cheetah and left into the night the huntress rose to her feet and the small seed that had been used to bring her back to life fell to the floor, carefully she picked it up and returned to her cabin. Deras had hoped that they would never meet again as it was likely that it would be on the battlefield and he knew that one of them would not live and this time there would be no resurrection for either of them.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:21 pm

It had been over twenty years since he had last visited the site, this place had caused so much pain, so much lose and so much hatred, but now the black tauren had returned to the place where it had all started, where every thing had gone wrong, it was the place that he had lost all that he knew and all that he loved, and yet he had come back, looking round Deras could still see some of the post holes that took the frames of the tents, the charred ground had been rejuvenated and now, grass and flowers grew in abundance, how quickly things could change he thought, no not quickly, it had been a slow process, one that took many years, but it had happened all the same, all trace of what had happened had all but been erased. Looking round the druid could almost make out where the tents were, where fires burnt, and people lay, dead, slowly Deras started to move his gave wondering, his eyes never stationary, yet somehow he missed the small mound and tripped over, falling to the ground with a thud. The aging druids knee started to throb as did his back, carefully he sat up then with great tenderness rubbed the damaged left knee, the dull pain started to fade, but his back still throbbed carefully Deras stood up not yet putting the full wait on his injured knee, fearing that it might give out under him, slowly the weight was put on to both legs, the shattered knee held, just, with his back still hurting he cast a healing spell, and the pain slowly disappeared. Now comfortable the druid looked at the mound, it had an irregular shape to it, un like most mounds this had sharp edges, and one side was longer and shallower than the two other sides, slowly Deras knelt down and grabbed a hand full of grass and pulled, it came away with quite some ease, and under the grass and dirt was a metal corner poking out above the ground. Looking at it he tried to lift it but it did not budge. Must be more of it under the earth, thought the big black tauren, he called Faran who trotted over and nudged his friend with his big muzzle, searching though is packs on the great kodo he found that he had no digging implements, so he sat down on the earth and tried to think of something, he could go back to the Crossroads and see if they had something he could use, or he could ask a member of the tribe someone who could dig it out for him, these ideas came and he dismissed them out of hand, the others would be curios as to why he had purchased a pick axe, and other members might want something from what ever it was that he had found, and this site was special to him and the druid really didn’t want to have to explain to them what this site was, not yet anyway. Some distance of , Faran was grazing but what caught Deras’ eye was that he was pawing at the ground.
“Hmmm, I think that might just be the answer.” he said to himself, he rose to his hooves and looked down at the rusting metal, then blurring, a great bear stood in the place of the druid, then with its massive and powerful front legs dug though the earth, clearing large amounts each time until it hit the red metal of the chest, slowly the beast made the hole bigger, uncovering more of the chest. Finally the shape shifted druid stopped, he had cleared over half the chest, and a handle was clear of the rich brown earth, finally satisfied the bear changed back into the druids normal form, the druid took hold of the handle and pulled, his back suddenly filled him with pain and his knee almost gave out, Deras released the chest and roared with pain, birds scattered, small animals ran, but Faran looked up and went over to His owner, and licked the druids palm, the black eyes opened and a dark furred hand reached out and stoked the muzzle of the gentle kodo.
“Thank you my friend. I think you have just given me a solution to the problem I face.” still lying on his back the druid cast another healing spell over himself, the pain subsided. Again the druid rose to his hooves, again he searched though his packs and found a length of strong, thick rope, carefully Deras tied one end around the handle of the buried chest with the other end in his hand he walked over to Faran
“My friend, I wish to tie this round your strong neck, I will pad it out as much as I possibly can, is that okay with you?” the kodo did not reply but it turned it back on the chest and waked back so that it hind legs were inched from the hole, smiling, the druid took out a large quantity of leather and placed it on the ground, finally he took the rope and tied it round the large riding kodo then started to pad the rope with the leather.
“Okay, ready Faran?” The kodo looked at the druid then leaned into the make-shift harness. The chest groaned and the ground heaved, then with a sudden lurch the rusted metal chest came out of the ground before landing with a loud crash, as soon as the metal box hit the ground the lid burst open, some of the contents scattered across the plane. “Okay Faran that’s enough, STOP.” Faran had taken a few more steps forwards, then stopped, looking almost ashamed. The druid waked over to the kodo and untied Faran’s make-shift harness, there were small cuts in the kodo’s shoulders where the rope had bitten deep in to the flesh and then cut it, the black tauren cast a spell that healed up the wounds, with that Faran walked off and started to graze again. Deras returned and gathered up all the articles that had been sent flying when the chest was forced from the ground, he looked at the red and rusted object, something was familiar about it but Deras could not think what it was. The tauren placed the items he had picked up and put then back in the chest, he looked at what first appeared to be nothing more than a rag, but soon became apparent that this item once wrapped a baby, the druid then closed the lid, it was covered in dirt but under that there lay something that could only be writing, it was the letter “A” or part of it anyway, clearing more and more mud a familiar name appeared from the brown earth looking down at the lid, Deras saw a name that brought a lump to his throat and a tear to his eyes, the name was Faran Shadowhorn, the rag that he had put in the chest was the one that he had been found in. Openning the chest Deras saw items of his childhood, the first bone carving he had done, a bow that had been made for him, but was now too small to be used by the grown tuaren, amongst the items the druid found a book, closer inspection revealed it to be his fathers journal, Deras had decided that he would not read it here, he would, go back to Thunder Bluff and read it sitting looking over the pond and also Mulgore. With the journal in his arms and the chest reburied Deras rode away, he did not look back. After a short flight, the druid went to a secluded place, behind the tents on the top tier of the city, he sat with his back against the tree and read the journal.

“I have decided in these pages that I should write the history of the Shadowhorn family, it is not an illustrious one like the Bloodhoofs nor one that has seen the ways of war, like the Grimtotems, as far as I can remember and from all the stories that I have been told, we have always been hunters of the plains, first of what has become known as The Barrens and now of the land we call Mulgore. It has been said that one of my ancestors Nethean ‘Strong Arm’ Shadowhorn was with there at the first attack of the centaurs, and later his son Dalarn was present when the Earthmanes were betrayed by the centaurs, though it was a mistake on the behalf of the clan leader to trust the vile beasts, I believe that it had to be done, only a handful of the Shadowhorns escaped that day, but none of my ancestors hated or even despised the clan for it’s attempts for a peace, it has been said that one of the Earthmane’s married Dalarn, how much of that is true I don’t know. Though out the years we shadow horns have been peaceful, but our numbers diminished as the years went on, the reason fir this was said that the family were cursed and that only a single female could give birth to a single child and that she would not give birth to anymore again, how much of this is true I do not know, what I do know though is that there are only two that call themselves Shadowhorns now, myself and my wife Telia.”
The tone of the writing changed, no longer talking about the past long ago, but of recent past
“I believe that the Shadowhorn family name will die with me, Telia died in child birth, and the infant died shortly after, I am now alone, so alone.” the writing on the page stopped, turning the page Deras, found more and read on
“I do not believe what I have found, it is a sign from the Earthmother herself surely, whilst out on a hunt, I came across some tracks of taurens that had passed by what did surprise me was that they went to a thorn patch, as I grew closer I heard a baby cry out, what I found made my heart leap, there wrapped in a blanket was a small black calf, no more than a few months old, a year at most, ill take him and raise him as my own, the Shadowhorn name will not die out, at least not yet at any rate.” The writing ceased and again it continued on the following page
“The young calf is a fast learner and grows quickly, I almost have trouble keeping him in clothing, almost, I have named the boy Deras, his affinity for nature is quite amazing, and he has learned to ply the wooden flute well, with practise he will be excellent. I don’t know why but the other young taurens seam to be afraid of him, but then we never stay long to make it a problem, his quick and agile hands means that I shall teach him how to skin animals and make leather items, as well as what can be done with other parts of the carcass.” Turning the page the black druid read on
“Deras is nearly twenty years of age, I know that he does not have the heart to be a hunter, but his ties with nature should not be broken either, I think it is time that he should enter training as a druid, for that he will be suited I have already sent for an old friend of mine, Thalarn, he will take my adopted son to Nighthaven in Moonglade and there he will stay and train, my heart will miss him, but I suppose it is time for me to settle down in a village, I think there is a new one in The Barrens, close to Ashenvale forest .”
The journal carried on for a few more pages, but Deras did not have the heart to carry on looking down he saw water drops had fallen onto the pages, so closing the book the tauren looked up, it had not been rain, Deras felt water running down his checks, how long had he been crying, he culd not even remember even starting to cry, but he did not care, slowly raising to his feet, the druid felt the wind pick up and with it, it carried his tears away, like water dripping from a fish as it leaps though the air. The black tauren druid, Deras stood staring out over the landscape, with tears rolling down his fur before being carried in the wind

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:22 pm

The rain had eased of but had not stopped, the water making the field wet, puddles had formed, but not just from the rain, A big shape moved though the area looking for the first time at what the result of a battle was like. The battle had been fierce, the defenders had put up a strong resistance, but it had started to collapse, Orannis Vulshock’s axe cut though men, elves, dwarves and gnomes with little stopping it, other members of the Firesong Legion were fighting hard, the legion had been joind by members of other tribes, guilds and fighting forces. Deras was fighting hard, but lacked the fire that had been in him in previous battles, a blade swung down towards the cats neck, but it was diverted by Turk, a troll rogue
“Ey Deras what ya playin’ at, I cant be ‘ere to save ya neck all de time.” the cat just looked at him but said nothing. Deras had lost his drive for battle and he knew why, his life had been saved by a Night elf huntress only a week or so before this raid, many had noticed that the warrior druid was not right, but said nothing and because of his wounds many said he should not have come, but the druid took his scouting duties seriously, no-one can do it better than I, he thought, in his cat form he moved faster than any person could, the cats enhanced sense of smell could pick out any and all likely pockets of defenders and also he could move quietly which allowed him to get close to the defenders without being noticed, but still he had no real wish to be here. The black tauren left the front line and headed to the back where others were healing, Negoshak was there casting his spells on all that needed it, yet still many others fell
“Go fight mon, I don’t need no ‘elp ‘ere.” said the troll priest
“No.” said the druid “You need help here and I can see it.”
“Fine then, do what ya wan’, but stay out me way.” Deras slightly annoyed at being told he was not wanted started healing all those that he could, but his energy was being drained quickly, so he stopped to have a quick drink and then went back to healing. The battle had raged for more hours than Deras cared to remember and twice a few members of the alliance had broken though to where he stood, sighing both times he killed the few that got though with other members of the Legion. It was almost over when the downpour came.

The battle had finished, the druid drained of energy and more weary than he had ever been in his long life, the druid started to walk round the battle site there were those who called themselves Horde lying beside those that were Alliance, blood had socked the ground, had it always been this way, the black druid wondered he looked at one corpse, its soulless eyes stared back accusingly at him, its moth open in a silent scream. Many lives had been dispatched during that bloody evening, and for what, for what his friend had said would come to pass if battle had not been made on the town, The druid sank down to the ground, lost in thought, slowly his head turned, all about where corpses as far as the eye could see, nameless bodies who’s spirits would have returned to the earth mother or what ever deity they believed in, some had families, others loved ones but all had friends, and now, they would never see them again. “Why, why must things like this happen, no-one was evil, no-one had asked for this!” screamed the druid, a multitude of black feathered birds launched into the sky at the sound of the voice. Deras left the site, all the eyes still haunting his mind, those accusing eyes, at last he reached the edge of the battle field, then threw up. The black druid walked on his fur soaked with both blood and water, his fur black and red made him look like some zombie or worse, with his head down Deras walked on untill he came to a river, removing his armour the red and black tauren stepped in to the water and washed his fur until all the brown dried blood had gone from his body, rummaging though his packs Deras found his green robe and cloak, before he left he brunt his leather armour, hoping that this in some way remove the memory of that foul battle that he had helped kill in.

It had been a long walk from the wetlands to the zeppelin dock out side of the Undercity, but he boarded the zeppelin and headed for Durotar. The zeppelin docked out side of the orc capital, Ogrimmar, but the druid carried on walking, nor did he stop at the small settlement of the Crossroads, he carried on walking all the way to Thunder Bluff, Climbing to the top rise he looked out over Mulgore, it would be so easy for me to end it here, thought the numb druid but a small voice whispered in the back of his mind that should he jump, he could never regain the honour of the Blackhoof family nor would his father welcome him in the spirit realm, so Deras just sat down and looked over the grass land below and sighed, then he fell asleep. When the druid awoke, he was sweating heavily and was still exhausted as he was before he had slept and he knew why, the nightmare had been horrendous, the slient screaming corpses where no longer silent they all turned and kept asking the same question, “Why, why me and not you. I should not be rotting in this mud, how come you survived and I did not?” then the deep arms tore at the druid, walking to the mail box, Deras had found that he had a letter summoning him and the other officers to a meeting in Ogrimmar, great just what I need right now, he thought angrily, but still he went. After a short flight, Deras walked down the sky tower and headed to the place of the meeting.
“Deras mon, we missed ya at de debrief.” it was the child like voice of Year, the youngest of the Legion
“Did you, oh, I’m sorry I missed it.” he replied not trusting himself to speak more
“What is it that Orannis wishes to speak of? I didn’t think that we were going to raid again so soon.”
“Aye, Ya guess is as goo’ as mine.” With that the pair walked into the room, all the other officers had already arrived.
“Ahh, good we are all here now, there are things that I must say.” said the aging Orc at the front of the group “There is to be one more raid by my Firesong Legion, one, that if successful, will see the horde finally triumph.” the druids heart sunk. “This battle will be the last, will be our last together, for I must make a journey and I do not know how long I will be gone for.”
“Orannis, where will this raid take us to?” Asked the druid, unable to keep the fear from his voice
“My old friend we shall strike Stormwind itself.” The gasp from the room was audible to all, this worried the druid, his heart and mind had changed, he was sickened by the attack that happened only a day or so before and now this, this, Deras could not find the words to finish the thought. At the end of the meeting they all left, many talking of the honour of attacking a place like Stormwind, but the druid thought of the loss of life, on both sides and felt a blanket of despair wash over him, he had to leave and soon, Deras knew this, but where would he go. Returning to Thunder Bluff the black tauren saw a meeting going on, there were other taurens yet none of the other races were present, sitting close Deras could here what was being said, how the tribe was a peaceful one and that they would only defend, never attack, oh how easy life would be if we all lived like that. The meeting carried on for several hours, after which the members of the tribe left, only a few remained, one of which was the speaker, the Druid walked up to the Shaman who he found out was called Bovinus and asked about the tribe
“We can tke you, but we are not a tribe that goes on the offence. I have heard of the Legion and it leader Orannis and I must say that not all is pleasant.”
“I know what you say is true, I have had enough of war, I have seen the horror of it and wish no more.”
The conversation carried on for a few minuets longer, but finally Bovinus accepted the druid, Deras into the tribe. Deras wrote a letter to Orannis as to why he had left the Firesong Legion and why he would not be at the battle of Stormwind. From the reports that came back the battle had gone badly for the Legion and her allies, there was an army of Alliance waiting for them. And many, many souls had passed on, yet the druid did not feel that he had let his friends down, for had he been there, he would not feel right.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:26 pm

Silithus had been hot and dusty, and the flight to Mulgore had been somewhat uncomfortable, Deras felt that he had so much dust and dirt inside his armour that he could grow a small tree, the druids black fur was a mixture of grey, yellow and black, to most he looked like he had some kind of disease that made his fur change colour, the druid knew that his discomfort would last until he got to his destination , Bloodhoof Village and Stonebull Lake, the flight landed in the tower and the Flight master Tal gave a strange look to the multi hued Tauren, Deras said nothing but made his way to the bottom then out to the lifts, as he went the looks that were directed at him made him feel almost as uncomfortable as the dirt and dust that covered him, even Chepi, who he had spoken to quite often gave the druid a gaze that made him feel out of place, soon he was down the lift and standing on the fertile ground of Mulgore, calling Faran to him Deras and the kodo headed for the lake. The sun was a large orange ball, just over the mountains as the pair reached the blue lake, the water was clam although small ripples stretched across the waters surface, dismounting the dirty druid approached the water, slowly he removed his armour, tipping out all the dust and dirt that had built up in each piece and then carefully placed each item on the ground, finally removed of all clothing Deras waded out then threw himself forwards, almost immediately a cloud of yellow rose to the surface. Underwater Deras could see the cloud and so swam a way from it broaching the surface Deras began to clean his fur, the only part that he could not reach was the centre of his back, then an idea had come to him, taking a deep breath the druid once again sank beneath the glittering surface, once at the bottom the druid rolled over and squirmed his back against a submerged log, the dirt came of, Deras now cleaned launched himself to the surface, and swam in powerful strokes to the shore and back to his packs, drying himself The now clean druid put on clean robes, they, he felt were more comfortable than his armour, oh well time to clean them I guess thought the druid, rising he took the leathers to the lake and started to was them, the dirt and dust came away easily, leaving the colours of the leather shinning back at him, time to oil it, before it dries and cracks thought the druid, removing the oils he needed Deras started the long and laborious job of maintaining his armour, just then a fish leapt form the lake water and splashed down, disappearing from whence it came, the druids fingers began to twitch, and he found his hand slowly reaching for his rod, no, he thought, must finish my armour first. Finally after the sun had gone and the moon shone from its place in the night sky the black druid took up his fishing rod and started to hunt for prey under the water, sinking back against a tree, Deras started to think back to when he had first learnt to swim and fish.

The sun had just broken over the mountains and the ten year old Deras strode out to Stonebull Lake, his father, the hunter Faran, walked beside him, the hunter had a rich grey fur which almost set of his jet black horns, the pet Cat, Niranax padded silently ahead, her large paws making no sound in the long grass.
“Father, why did you not bring any bows if we are going hunting?” asked the child
“My son, what we hunt can not be caught by bow, we are fishing.” replied the grey hunter, the black child didn’t ask any more but followed, it had taken ten minuets or so to reach the lake, Bloodhoof had not yet come to be built, nor had Thunder Bluff. When the trio had reached the lake, Faran Handed his son a sturdy pole with a reel and line attached to it.
“Today son, we go fishing.” announced Faran, the hunter showed the young Deras how to set his line and how to cast, it took a few attempts to get it right but finally the young black calf cast his hook out to the water. Most young calves were impatient, but not Deras, he seamed to have an un-natural air about him, but Faran didn’t care, his wife had died in child birth and the babe had died only moments after, the hunter had feared that with his wife and child gone, the Shadowhorn’s would be lost to the pages of history when he died, but then one day, Niranax had found the baby boy, lying in a patch of thorny scrub.
“Father, I have caught something, what do I do now?” yelled the young boy, Faran rushed over to the boy but before he could reach him, Deras lost his balance and plunged into the blue waters of the lake, the hunter removed his jerkin and dived in after his son, Faran could not see Deras anywhere, then not far of he felt another splash, catching his breath and preparing himself to go under, he suddenly saw the great cat, Niranax dragging the unconscious form of his son to the bank . It took several minuets to get Deras back into the world of the living, but he came back and gulped in air. It took a few more moments for the black calf to get his head together.
“What happened Deras?” asked his father
“I don’t really know, but when I was dragged underwater, I panicked.”
“I think our fishing trip is on hold for now, I think you should learn to swim first, just in case,”
With that Faran taught his son to swim, Deras was a quick learner, and felt that it must be as close to flying as one could get with out growing wings, just before night fall the young black tauren had swum several times to the far bank and back, unaided
“That’s enough son, time to carry on fishing” The boy swam over to the bank and climbed out, he looked back almost sad that he had to get out of the water, he dried himself and then sat beside the fire his father had made, his black fur glinting in the moon and fire light, he did not no how long there he sat before he fell asleep.

Several months had passed and a few families had started to move into Mulgore, some of them had youngsters like Deras, well not like Deras, they where young, energetic and boisterous, never really having any friends Deras went to meet them, at first they treated him just like all children and let him play and join in games, then the bully came, he was older than most of them, his fur was crimson red, he had small stumps where his horns were growing, he had soon turned Deras’ friends against him calling him names, most of which the black tauren did not understand. After a few weeks of hurling names at Deras the bully started throwing his fists at the young black calf, Deras was knocked to the floor, scrambling to his hooves he ran towards the lake, the bully and the one time friends of Deras chased after him, only a few steps ahead the black tauren reached the bank of the lake and dived into the water he swan for a few strokes and then heard a splash, turning to look the big red tauren had jumped into the water but could not swim, Deras sighed and swam back to where the older calf was splashing and spluttering, grabbing the back of the bullies collar, he dragged him to the bank where the others had now fled. After that he never saw the big red tauren again, he supposed he had been made to work in the camp. After many seasons had passed Deras was now around fifteen or so, he sat once again on the lake bank fishing, his father had now allowed him of on his own for short trips, or at the most overnight trips, but always in the company of the cougar Niranax, the cat was welcome company as she never spoke, never made a fuss and always kept an eye out for him. It was still early in the afternoon when a shadow appeared over him, the youngster looked up and saw a red face with short, white horns that were still growing, the body was all in mail armour
“You don’t remember me do you, Shadowhoof?” asked the warrior
“No you seam familiar, but still I cant quite place you.” said the fisherman
“No, I don’t suppose that you do, I think you saved me over there about five years ago.” he replied pointing to the far shore
“You, I don’t…… Hang on, you were that bully, the one how was beating me.”
“That’s right, and I foolishly followed you into the lake as you swam away, I never did thank you.”
“That’s alright, knowing that you lived was thanks enough for me.”
“You are a strange boy, you know that?” it wasn’t so much as a question, more a statement “So how are the fish biting?” Deras thought about the answer very carefully before replying
“They are a little slow today, maybe tomorrow they will be a little more playful.” the warrior smiled then walked away.
A loud splash woke Deras, how long had he been asleep for, he looked at his rod and could see that the reel was spinning quickly and that the line was close to being all played out, swiftly he took up his rod and started to land the fish, when he had finally landed the fish the sun was coming up over the mountains and bathed him, the lake and bloodhoof in the predawn light of the false sunrise

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Barzovia Mon May 26, 2008 11:27 pm

... Are you serious? Deras' story Emot-psypop

Last edited by Barzovia on Tue May 27, 2008 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barzovia
Barzovia
Headhunter

https://www.youtube.com/user/keithmintage

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:28 pm

The three students sat on the floor before their teacher, they had all learnt many lessons from him, some hard, some easy, but all with a point of teaching the finer points of being a druid. The first was Miarn she was an albino Tuarun, strong willed but also impatient, then there was Voranis, he was slightly smaller than the other two, but he cared little for anyone outside his group of close friends, the third was the black tauran, Deras.
“My pupils I have another lesson you must learn, but I shall not teach it to you, you must find the meaning of the lesson on your own. Miarn, you shall go and work a month down on the lake with the fisher Balaran, Voranis, you shall work with Tharnian the woods man in the woods to the south east, and Deras, you shall work with Netaliarus in Ashenvale forset, once the month is up you shall return, and then we shall see if you have learnt the lesson I have set for each of you and only then shall we see if you are druids or not.” the young female snorted then started fidgeting. “In each of your rooms are letters and instructions, you may read the instructions but not the letters, the are for the people you will be working for. Now you may go and pack.” The three young Taurens rose and left the room, Deras was the youngest of the three, he had already seen the lesson of the other two, Miarn would learn the one greatest thing about fishing, and that was what she lacked, patients, Voranis, would learn from Tharnian, who although called a woods man, he was more of a career for the sick and injured, of animals, plants and also from time to time, other people, and from him Deras was sure the uncaring tauren would learn compasion, how to care for more than just yourself and a close knit group of friends, the young black druid had worked this out as he had already met and spoken to these two instructors, but his own lesson still eluded him, but that did not matter, he would still go ahead with it and see what he could learn by the end of it. Deras returned to his small room and looked about, his room was tidy, apart from the several stacks of leather and scraps that where piled up against the back wall, on his bed were two folded pieces of parchment, the first was addressed to him the second which was sealed was addressed to the lady he would be staying with, avoiding the temptation to read both letters he put the second letter away in his pack, he opened the first and read it.

“My pupil, Deras
I have told you to whom you must go, but I did not tell you, unlike the others, what she did or exactly where she lives. The first is that she works as a leather worker, she has a small shop that is regularly busy and has requested assistance during the next month as her assistant has had an injury that means that they can not work for the next month, I’m sure that you have already worked out the others lessons by now but not your own, when you leave you must take what you think you will need for the job, your duties will consist of skinning, curing hides and making leather goods for the customers of her shop.
The directions to get to the place you will be spending your next month is in Ashenvale as I already mentioned, to get to her you will travel south once you leave Timbermaw Hold. Follow the road to Ashenvale, when you come to the junction head east, you will come to another, there you will head south, the woman lives at the edge of the forest. I know that you will od your best, and I expect nothing less.

Thalarn”

Deras packed all that he thought he would need for the trip and the month ahead, he packed his skinning knife, his leather working needles, some clothing and his flute, he also packed both letters, just in case. The black druid did not sleep to well that night, he woke, still slightly tired, but eager to be on his way, but Deras had still decided that he would wait until after breakfast, as travelling on an empty stomach was never a good idea, he did not see the other two, they were probably still fast asleep, oh well, never mind he thought, and finished his breakfast before returning to his room, casting his eyes over his room once more he checked to see if he had forgotten anything, it did not look like he had so he swung his backpack into place and walked out towards Timbermaw Hold and beyond, it took the young druid nearly a full days walk to get to his place of work for the following month, he could tell it was the place as there were racks upon racks of curing hides, there where three tents, 2 smaller tents and a larger tent, as he approached the larger tent, a grey female walked out.
“You boy.” she called out “You lost or something?”
“I hope not” replied Deras, almost afraid of this woman “Thalarn sent me, this is the place of Netaliarus?”
“Ah so you’re the boy I got lumbered with?”
“yes ma’am” replied the boy quietly
“Fine, now put your gear in that tent, mind the hole it leaks a bit when it rains.”
“yes ma’am” Deras replied automatically and walked of to the tent that the female tauren pointed out and put his bag there, Deras looked around and saw the hole almost immediately, it wasn’t large, nor difficult to repair, so taking out his needle and thread, Deras repaired the hole. Netaliarus came to see how the young black tauren was, she looked at the hole
“You do that?” she asked
“Yes Ma’am” he replied
“well well well, I think I was wrong when I said I got lumbered, you have some skill, tell mehow did you learn leather working?”
“My father taught me the skill.”
“I see young Grimetotem.”
“Sorry but I am not a Grimetotem, my father was Faran Shadowhorn and I am his son Deras.”
“Ahhh, so you’re his son, well now, I see you have had a good tutor, and I’m sorry if I offended you in anyway.”
“That’s alright, I am used to it, I get called a Grimetotem all the time.”
“I can see that we will get on just fine then.” The grey tauren smiled and left

For the month, Deras worked hard, he served the customers, but he was not allowed to talk to the hunters that brought the skins and leather, a few times they even brought whole animals, and Deras would skin those for his employer, after a few weeks Deras was allowed to make simple items, but after that Netalirus let him work on leather clothing. The young black tauren worked hard and spoke to the customers that came in, he soon found it got easier and easier as time went on, soon he was chatting and joking with them. Towards the end of his period Deras was told to go rest in his tent, so he did, when he got to his tent he heard a familiar voice talking to his boss, he listened in and recognised the voice of the female but the second voice was that of a male seamed somehow familiar to him, yet he could not place it, the convocation went on, finally it dawned on Deras who the male was, it was his father, Faran, rising to his hooves the black tauren walked round to the entrance of the larger tent
“Ahh, this is the young man I have working for me at the moment.” the hunter turned and saw the young man standing in the door way,
“You seam almost familiar, yet I cant quiet place you. Well as you are here you can make me a new tunic, and I need you to repair some trousers for me.”
“Certainly, may I ask how Niranax is Faran?”
“How, how did you know about her? She died a few years back.” Deras’ heart sunk at that news, he remembered, how she had saved him from drowning in the lake
“I’m sorry, I did not now that she has passed away, she was always so kind to us both, even dragging me out of the lake to stop me drowning.” The old hunter looked at the black durid
“You cant be, but yet I think you are, Deras?”
“Took you long enough father.” Deras laughed, Faran went over and embraced his son, the pair talked for the rest of the afternoon and on into the evening. After the items were made and repaired Faran left the group of tents, Deras carried on working hard, the month had passed fairly quickly, but Faran did not return. At the end of the month Deras returned to Nighthaven, he could see a small change in his fellow students, but said nothing, he found that he himself had changed slightly, but never the less it was still a change, their tutor came to them and asked what each one had learnt, he started with Voranis, Deras could see that the other was not fidgeting as she was before, Then he moved on to her and the account had no sign of any impatience’s that had marred he before the month, he then turned to Deras who spoke although he was not sure if he had learnt the intended lesson, but he went on with his account, Thalarn smiled whilst listening to the account. It was not long after when Deras finally had the confidents to talk to Nirana, it was about her damaged jacket. Deras felt a weight on his lap, he looked down and saw the lion head of Kurasi asleep there, Deras gave a small smile and then he too fell asleep.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:30 pm

The black druid sat at his usual spot on Thunder Bluff, not far from him, by the ceremonial fire were two youngsters discussing the so called honour of war and battle, the then started to say battles that they wished they had been apart of, Deras ignored them until one of the said
“you know what aside from all these skirmishes, and lets face it, that was all they were, the one I would have loved to have taken part in, the Burning Legions assault on Mount Hyjal.”
“Yeah your right, that would have been a great battle to be in.” the other voice agreed
Fools the both of you, those that weren’t there but dream of glory want to go back and be there, those that where there wish to only forget that we were, thought the druid morbidly, slowly as if by there own will Deras’ memories started to sift though back to the time that he was there.

The druid knew that the demons were coming, he could feel their corruptive spirit long before the scouts returned with news that they where coming, down the line off to his right the black druid saw a group of Shaman invoking the blessing of the ancestors, I hope that they do protect you, some one should he thought darkly, shifting his weight Deras stood on a small stone that irritated his hoof, lifting his foot the druid saw the offending stone and gave it a mighty kick, the stone whistled away from the druid and glanced of a post that set the flying stone back towards Deras, but at head height, the druids hand lashed out and caught the stone in mid flight, opening his hand Deras looked at what he had just snatched out the air
“You want to stay and help huh, I guess your as mad as the rest of us then.” and then he started to chuckle, those that were nearby looked at the druid and started to leave a gap around him, looking up the tauren’s face became that of cold, controlled rage, if I die I will take some of this hell spawn with me, I will not die cheaply he thought to himself. A sound came from far off down the mountain pass, it was barking and howling, a troll turned to the druid and called out
“Eah, crazy Druid, wha’ is dem wolves howlin about?” Deras turned and looked at the troll, he was the only druid on this section of the defensive line
“My friend.” called back “Those are not wolves, and I don’t think you what to know what they are saying.” the troll looked at him once more and then looked forwards, the sound of the noise was still some way off “HERE THEY COME!” yelled the druid at the top of his voice, he heard guns loaded and arrows staked in front of the archers, magic users were preparing their spells, satisfied that they where all ready, Deras hefted his large war hammer, it was expertly crafted, and the balance on it was almost perfect, the original owner had no longer needed it, and as no one was around to argue the fact, it now belonged to the druid, a sound that felt like thunder brought the black tauren druid out of his thoughts and back into the action. Hundreds of black, slavering demon hounds came poring up the mountain pass, towards the back of the huge pack was a larger hound, all the smaller dogs of hell gave this one room, so, he thought, even these hellish creations have an alpha. Yelling to two nearby hunters to try and take down the large dog, Deras had no authority, but hunters understood what the druid meant, suddenly the air between the defenders and the dogs was filled with both arrows and bullets, it tore thought the hounds in the front, but they charged on, with out warning the air was not only filled with the whistles and hums of bullets and arrows but all so the crackling power of magic filled the air, many more hounds died yet they still came on, finally the two hunters that had waited started to unload ammo in to the largest dog in the pack, but its size belied its speed, it dodged out the way of the incoming missiles, lets see him try that again thought the druid. The massive hound was barking at the lesser dogs in its pack, hearing several shots coming towards it, it side stepped and let the flying projectiles carry on there way, the Alpha hound let out a deep throaty growl and saw that the two firing the shots, where preparing to shoot again, with out any warning roots sprouted from the floor and entangled its feet and leg, unable to move the shots hit home, the alpha hound fell to the floor, the hounds that were still alive after the death of their leader suddenly turned and fled back down the path to where they had come from, the fighting could still be heard from other areas of the defensive line. It took a few minuets before the word about the Alpha demons got sent all round the mountain, the next attack came almost two hours after the first, this time the Leader of the pack held back out of casting range and gun and bow shot range, it also meant that the hounds reached the line and melee had broken out, the hounds died easily, but due to their almost limitless numbers they where wearing the defenders down, at his feet lay a dozen or more bodies of the foul demon beasts, only near the end did the larger beast start to charge and it headed for the large black tauren Deras could see that the leader was charging him, and when he felt that the beast was close enough he swung his massive hammer at the hound, it caught the charging beast in the head, which exploded under the huge impact of the blow, again, leaderless the remaining hounds fled the battleground, whimpering as they left, fourteen had died in that fight, and five of those would not be resurrected, their injuries far to sever to heal with magic. The hounds attacked a further three times that day, by the end of the day, the defenders had lost nineteen of the original one hundred and fifty that had walked to their places. It was the same for the following three days, and yet more of the defenders died, unable to bring them back to life.

On the forth day it changed, the hounds did not charge the path, but instead there was a steady rhythm and a brassy horn note sounded of down the pass
“Well, looks like the hounds got bored of dying, now we face the legion.” Bellowed the druid, although not in charge, most of the one hundred and sixteen men and women that where here looked to him for insperation, the druid seamed to be in the right place at the right time to help force back the demon hounds “Lets give them a real nice reception.” The fighters cheered at him guns were loaded bows checked spells prepared, “Are we ready people?” the tauren called some one of to the far left replied
“Black Death, where you lead we shall follow.” then all along the line the chant had been taken up and the chant was ‘Black Death, Black Death’ the druid smiled bitterly. The demons came, and they fought hard, the Black Death and those who he supposedly lead fought back with more ferocity than had been imagined, the druids hammer swinging in wide deadly arch crushing anything that got it the way, then suddenly his great hammer was stuck on a hole in the floor, sensing that they could kill him the demon horde started to swarm the druid, unarmed the druid turned towards the first few and blasted them with magic bolts that speed down from the heavens, but still they came on, finally his form blurred, in the place of the black tauren druid, was a large and powerful bear, its huge paws sent demons flying, its teeth ripped though armour and flesh alike, noticing that his hammer had somehow been freed and was now lying only a few yards to his left the bear battered, clawed and bit his way though to his hammer, at last the bear reached the hammer and blurred back into the druid form taking up his hammer Deras started to go to work killing the mass of demons around him. Whilst fighting for his life Deras could feel something massive happening far above him on the peak of Mount Hyjal, and where the Tree of Life was, in the corner of his eye he could see spirits flying towards the tree, finally a massive explosion echoed from the top of the mountain, the shockwave sent the druid tumbling along with demons down the mountain path, the druid shapeshifeted into the form of a sleek lion and gained his footing. After the shockwave had passed, the black druid noticed that the corpses of the demons had gone, all that was left was the ruined corpses of so many of the defenders, of the one hundred and fifty that started the defence only forty two we left. Black Death looked round at the survivors, the clan of shaman had all been killed, the two hunters who had killed the first Alpha hound were missing, the only recognizable face that he could make out was the troll who had called him ‘crazy druid’ on the first day
“Mon, you are one seriously crazy druid.” the troll called out
“Maybe, but I don’t think that I’ll be crazy enough to do that again.” he replied
“Aint dat de truth” came the repliy and both started to chuckle.

The boys where still discussing when he heard one say
"When im older I want to be just like the Black death."
"The who?
"The Black Death, my father was told by a friend of his who is a troll, and the troll said that the Black Death was a true hero."
"Now, your just making this up."
"I am not, ask my father, he can tell you."
"I dont belive you, that is just some stupid name that you made up."
Deras smiled a cold sad smile at hearing that name, god how he hated that name and all that went with it, he was almost lost in thought again when a pair of arms wrapped themselves around the druids broad neck, the perfume that filled his nostrils was one he knew, the smile changed from a cold sad smile to a warm and loving one.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:36 pm

It was late at night and Deras Shadowhorn sat looking into the fire on the top rise of Thunder Bluff, his mind was wandering over events that had recently taken place, but one thing stuck in his mind, and refused to let go and that was the disappearance of Shey Whitehorn, why had she just left? He wondered why hadbt she spoken to someone first? Then She would have found that Deras had in fact found Lorne only a week before, but he was mainly angry at himself that he couldn’t stop her or track her after having lost her scent and tracks in the rain on the plains of Mulgore, the druids mind mulled over these thoughts when he was hit by something that felt like someone had just trampled all over him, something was wrong, something terrible, something had caused there to be an unbalancing of nature, something he felt that all druids would have felt, but the black druid was certain that many others would have felt it as well, almost ah he thought that the fire in front of him erupted, some of the passing people loked on in shock and awe, not believing what they saw, but Deras stayed where he was, he had witnessed this sort of thing many times before, the only thing that the druid was wondering was which shaman was contacting him, A face slowly appeared in the flames, it was that of an orc, aged yet still hard
“Ahh, Orannis my old friend, I take it that you felt that too.” Deras said the floating head
“Yes, and I have come to ask you to fight by my side once more.”
“Orannis, I have no more love for fighting or bloodshed.”
“What we fight is not the alliance, the shockwave you felt was from the ancient gates at Ahn’qiraj openning, the Qiraji are back in this world, and it is they that we must fight.”
“I will be there as soon as I can old friend” The face in the fire smiled and then receded back into the fire, flames died down back to what they where and the druid left, gathering he armour and stave before leaving Thunder Bluff.

Upon landing in Silithus the black druid could see that there was already an army mobilized, comprised mainly of elven warriors and tauren riflemen, it did not take long for Deras to catch up to Orannis and his war band. The wind was howling throwing the dust and sand round. He heard a disembodied voice shout out to him
“Hey druid, cant you make this stop.”
“I can ask, but nature is out of balance.” Bowing his head in concentration the druids lips began to move, slowly but surely the wind began to die down.
“Glad your on our side.” called the voice again, this time the black druid could see that it belonged to an orc who was dressed in full armour
“All I did was ask if the wind would stop, nature wants the delicate balance restored, so she is helping us, to some degree.” Then the earthquake began, it started as a low rumble, but got louder and louder, many orcs, trolls and taurens dived to the ground so they hoped that they didn’t fall down, Orannis looked at the druid and the Deras looked back at the orc, the yeas they had spent together meant that they could tell what each other was thinking just by looking at each others eyes,.
“This isn’t an earthquake, this is the enemy!” Bellowed the shaman, those that had dived to the ground slowly got up, casting wary glances around. Off into the distance a dozen figures moved towards the gathered members of the horde war band, the black druid heard a few shouts saying that the enemy had only sent a dozen men to deal with them, the harder Deras looked at them the more he saw that something was wrong, there were only a dozen soldiers marching toward them, either the Qiraji thought that twelve would be enough or that this was just to see there strength, and the black tauren doubted the last, then he saw it.
“Ori, those thing out there, they are not normal men, they are giants.” Deras said and then the gathered war host saw it too, the things that marched towards them were colossal, they were bigger than anything that the druid had seen.
“That’s why they send only a dozen, they think that is all they need to destroy us.” murmured the aging orc shaman “We came to stop the Qiraji and what ever they might send against us.” he bellowed “They send giants against, today we become giant killers!” The gathering roared in response to the speech. The rumble became louder and stronger until it was almost unbearable then with a sudden roar Orannis Vulshock bellowed at the top of his voice
“CHARGE! FOR KALIMDOR AND ALL AZEROTH, CHARGE!!” The men under the command of the orc surged forwards as one, the forty men swarmed the giants like ants would a bird, the air was full of magic, ice bolts, bolts of shadow energy and other magic’s as well as bolts, bullets and arrows, those that excelled in combat charged in, hacking at what ever part they could reach, the concentrated efforts of the men and women brought the first down in fairly quick time, Deras alternated between throwing what spells he could summon at the giants and healing those he could, slowly a second colossus began to sway before toppling to the ground with a deafening explosion as it hit the ground, sending bodies flying, with the third falling another roar from behind reached the tiring fighters ears, then a large battalion of alliance soldiers smashed into the giants and the third one fell, taking a quick breather Deras looked round, he could see that alliance and horde fighting side by side once again, there were faces all around him, most were covered in blood and dirt, there were still half a dozen giants still standing, the ground littered with broken, dead and dying bodies, oh how I hate wars he thought. A giant came toppling towards where he stood, changing form to that of the sleek cheetah and dashed out of the shadow before it hit the floor, but even with his speed he was thrown far by the shock wave, his head hit a rock, slowly, darkness descended on him. The last thing he heard was more shouts as another mass of bodies hurled themselves forwards.

Deras awoke to find him self lying in a bed in the Cenarion Hold, with a pair of worried eyes looking down at him, carefully he sat up
“Good to see your still alive my old friend.” said the voice of Orannis
“You should know, I don’t die that easy.” the pair chuckled, carefully rising to his feet, deras cast his healing spells on himself, the pain vanished as did the light headedness.
“Right, I am now ready, shall we go?” the old orc smiled at his friend
“I see some things change whilst others do not.” Deras just nodded, out side the inn Deras saw the men that had survived the first attack, most wore ragged bandages on some part of there body. Seating himself, Deras called over the members of the horde one by one, healing each one as he did so, after the last person was healed the druid turned to the shaman and asked
“Well, what now?”
“The fight is not over yet.” was all the orc replied, the remain war band rode back out into the dessert of Silithus, battles waged all over the sandy plains many bodies littered the floor, most where of the giant dog headed soldiers, but there were still many of humans, orcs, dwarves, trolls, gnomes, undead, elves and tauren, the last time the black tauren had seen a scene like it was six years prior at Hyjal. The party lead by Orannis found more foes to fight. The battle in Silithus lasted the rest of the night then into the morning and finally ended after midday, worn and weary the people of the horde trudged back to the Cenarion Hold. The big black form of Deras waled up the path and then promptly collapsed on his haunches, a shadow came over Deras and looked at him
“Good fight wasn’t it?”
“Ori, my friend if you have need of me again, don’t ask, I am getting too old for this sort of thing, let me go back and try and live in peace.”
“of course my friend, some of us are destined to live and die in battle, others are not, when I first met you I thought you where the former of these, now I look at you and relies that you have changed more than I thought, now you are the latter of the two types.” With out another word Orannis walked off, the druid looked at his friend and gave a slow sad smile, I guess you’re the former my friend, and that’s a shame, he thought, slowly Deras rose to his hooves and made his way to the flight master before winging his way back to what he called home, Thunder Bluff.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Mon May 26, 2008 11:37 pm

((Welcome to the Heritage, Deras! I hope you'll have a good time as our emissary! I'm just wondering why all you taurens have so long backstories (both you and Whraenyr have posted a novel about your life)... But one day, I'll try and read through it!))
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

http://heritageofzuljin.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:38 pm

The shape hung on the air motionless, formless, no sound was mad from it but it could see the world, it was not a world that it knew, or was even familiar with, but something … something was calling a name, one the form did not know or recognize, it was only a faint whisper only a ghost of a voice in the wind. As the form watched it saw that the world held a strange beauty on it, yet there was something here that it knew, something familiar, something recognizable, but at the same time not, in the distance a familiar noise could be heard, it was the sound of battle, of war. There was no forms of individual only a mass of colour, one of green and the other of silver, slowly the green tide was pushing the silver mass back, then from somewhere near the back of the silver were sparks of elemental energy, they raged all over, and it grew yet it also grew uncontrollable, with out warning the magic’s was loosed, not into the green ocean as was intended but into the earth its self. The shape felt the earth scream in protest, then there was no sound of battle, only the screams of the terrified masses, the green sea stopped fighting and fled, heading to a place that was only a hole, a black circle that swallowed the green ocean, the silver ocean also moved for the back opening, but not all went though some of it stayed behind, changing colour to a crimson red, finally the ground shock, parts started to break away, but rather than fall away back into the earth it floated, the magic that had all but destroyed the planet held the fragments aloft, some huge, others no larger than a single person..
Slowly his vision returned to normal, he could make out the large tower of Thunder Bluff, looking down at his hand he saw in them held a mug of dark ale. Damn, he thought, I should not have had this single one, Deras’ mind started to go over the ale induced vision, he wasn’t drunk, this was his first mug and it was only half drained. Guess I should talk to some one about this, he had decided in the quiet of his mind, putting the ale tankard down Deras moved out into the bright sunshine.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:43 pm

The moon was high and full yet it was covered by thick cloud, there was no light amongst the trees, and only faint sounds could be made out in the thick forest mist that seeped round every branch and every tree, giving of a feeling that nothing ever lived here, the mist swirled and shifted forming shapes that did not exist, hiding those that did, yet the cat carried on, not relying on its vision though it was far better than that of a normal person, and it did not rely on it ears either, for the mist and the trees distorted the sound, it relied on its keen sense of smell, its prey was out here in these woods, somewhere. The lion moved further into the woods, the trees where far taller, the darkness more pervasive and the mist had thickened so it could only see a few feet in front of its nose, not that it mattered to the hunting cat, the mist swirled and churned slowly the soft gentle breeze almost non existent this far into the forest. The cat moved though the white blanket cautiously knowing that if it was not careful it would no longer be the hunter but become the hunted. The lion slowed and then stopped, smelling the air it knew it was close to it quarry, a sudden shadow moved from behind a tree, the mist swirled and then the cat was gone in its place stood a black druid in full leather amour, calling the power of nature to his aid, roots sprang out of the earth and ensnared the fleeing figure.
“Don’t think you can run that far from me, nor that fast.”
The trapped figure hissed back a reply
“SStupid mortal, do you think that your powersss are a match for mine?” With a sudden rush of energy the roots that held the figure disappeared and the figure stood in the woods, glowing a deep crimson red. “Now tassste my power, insssect.”
“Good idea, you foul imp!” roared the tauren, with a gesture of his arms the demon was covered in flying, biting insects, the red demon flailed his arms wildly trying to swat the insects that plagued it, the druid kept calling the demon an imp, this made the crimson being even angrier trying now to get the druid that had insulted it, yet the insects kept biting it, with out warning the insects all dropped dead, exhausted beyond endurance, with speed that shocked the battle hardened druid, the demon feel upon him.
“Now you ssshall join the number of dead, and my massstersss will be pleasssed, sssoon they ssshall rissse again.”
“Not while I draw strength they wont.” bellowed the black tauren, with a flash the tauren was gone, and in his place stood a massive bear, the bear launched an attack on the demon but even the mighty strength of the bear was not enough to bring the demon down.
“Foolisssh mortal, nothing you can do can sstop me.” laughed the demon . Then something happened to the druid, in his vision he saw a paw, a black paw, and he felt the claw that hung around his neck warm, the druid fell out of his bear form but started to take on another, something he had never been before, his arms elongated as did the legs, yet he remained standing, but his knees bent, so he stood in a half standing, half crouching position, the face flattened but the teeth sharpened and became more pronounced, the horns grew long and larger, sharp claws flicked out from the end of each finger, the tauren druid had changed, into something different, into a human feline thing, the human cat thing continued to change, as lumps grew in its armpits, they continued to grow to form a second set of arms, with a sudden shriek the four armed cat charged down the demon, the demon stood ready to meet the charge of the monstrosity, but with speed and agility that belied its bulk the changed druid leapt skywards into the canopy above, it disappeared from sight.

The cat creature looked down and judged its alternatives, although this thing looked like an abomination the mind inside was still that of the druid, the beast would not or could not take control of the body, then with lighting fast movements the cat jumped from tree to tree, always keeping the red glow in sight, before dropping down on the demon from above, with feral strength it clubbed the demon to the floor, but before the demon had recovered the cat like creature had vanished again, several times it would strike the demon before disappearing into the gloom and mist of the forest, the demon was badly wounded, with deep slash marks across its chest and back the demon now almost afraid for existence, ran, the cat kept pace with long easy strides, easily keeping pace the fleeing demon, with a sudden burst of speed the cat like creature ran ahead, not making a sound on the forest floor as it went, with out warning the four armed, black humanoid cat like creature burst out of the darkness, grasping the demon solidly with one pair of arms, the other pair crushing the head, the demon screamed in pain, agony and fear, it could feel its skull being crushed, and there was nothing it could do to stop it, with a finaly cry the demon’s skull gave way and with a sickening snap of the bones giving way the demon died before vanishing back to where ever it had come from. The cat then lied down and fell asleep. When he awoke the druid was in the middle of a forest, some of his amour was damaged and ripped, looking around and then at himself, he thought that what had happened had been a dream of sorts, but looking down at his hands he saw dried blood there, yet he was not bleeding from anywhere on his body. I cant let anyone know about this, not even those in my tribe, nor even my mentors he thought, then slowly he rose to his hooves, before heading back to the village and telling them that the demon was dead, he only hoped that they didn’t ask how he had done it.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:45 pm

The cat stared at the tauren before him, he looked at it with its luminous green eyes, trying to see something of this being that sat opposite, the cat took in the black coat, the deep emerald green eyes, even the flecks of silver grey that appeared here and there in the mane of the tauren, trying to gain some measure of the person. Deras slept yet his mind did not, he was in a place that looked familiar yet was alien to him, it was a dark wooded place, the moon was high yet there was very little light, just in front of him there was a panther, one he knew, but did not understand why, on closer inspection the aging druid could see that its fur was jet black, save for flecks of grey that were on the creatures neck and the top of its head, the eyes were a bright luminous green.
“Who are you?” asked Deras
“I am who I am.” The black cat answered, seeming to be happy with the answer
“That is not what I asked, who are you? What is your name?” asked the druid again
“My name? What is your name?” Replied the panther
“My name? My name is Deras Shadowhoof, now, what is your name?”
“My name is that of my other self.” it said in the depth of the druids mind
“Your other self?” Dears asked out loud
“Yes, my other self, the one who’s body I infuse with my power.” the black said, this time aloud
“Your… You’re the spirit of the totem, the spirit of the panther totem, are you not?” Deras had no idea as to why he asked the question, but he seamed sure of the answer
“Why ask when you already know the answer?” the cat said, not giving to much away, yet reviling something at the same time.
“Why did you change my body, why did you make me into that… thing?” a hint of fear crept though the druid, this was a spirit and a strong one at that
“I did what was necessary, and it maybe that I do it again, there are not many who share my totem and unlike some of the other totem spirits I like to keep mine alive and well.” the panther then began to change, slowly rising up from four paws to stand on its hind legs, it stood almost level with the Tauren, another set of arms grew from the arm pit, and the head also started to change, from that of a cat to that of a Tauren, the pair regarded each other for a moment when suddenly Deras let out a sharp gasp
“Now do you realise the truth, I am you, you are me, we are one.” the druid said nothing, he only managed a nod.
“Do not worry about the one called Shey, she is well, you and her were never meant to be.” the spirit said, looking into Deras’ eyes the spirit nodded, and wave two if its four arms, a circle was created and in that circle was a young taurette, white as snow yet well and seemingly happy, there was however nothing that could tell Deras where she was. “The spirits meant you for another, perhaps you have already found that person, or she found you. You will know when you meet her again, that this is the true one, the one that, should you both wish it, be with for the rest of your lives. I know you are worried about me changing you as well, do not fear that will only happen when you have need of my strength and power, but what happens will always be your choices.” The spirit of the panther blurred and changed back into the powerful cat and slunk of into the darkness of the world. Then both his Mind and body fell asleep, and for the first time in a long time Deras was happy

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:48 pm

The tauren druid slowly moved through the trees in Moonglade, there was something not quiet right about the night, he could feel the warmth in the ground, also he could sense something, something that had never been there before. Deras was walking though the woods to the west of the lack and just to the south of the shrine, he could see that fireflies hung in the night air as little moving stars all around him, the place was so serene and calm that the black taur almost missed the green dot of light, he was almost on top of it before he noticed this odd light, the druid looked closely but could not see the body of an insect, with out warning the dot of light flew straight at Deras’ chest, the dot hit his chest but did not exit his back, the druid let out an explosive breath, almost as if he had be it in the stomach hard. Slowly more balls of green light emerged, the tauren noticed that these lights came from the trees around him, the green lights started to merge into one massive ball of green energy, before descending rapidly onto Deras, he was vaguely aware of something happening to him before he fell into unconsciousness.

Slowly but surely Deras opened his eyes, bright light shone into his face, hurting his eyes. Putting one arm behind him he began to slowly sit up, creaking as he went, gods, he thought, I must be old if my bones are starting to make that nose, finally he rose to his feet and looked round, it had seemed that the night had given way to day and the sun was now high in the sky, just then a deer bounded into view, turning to the druid the deer looked puzzled.
“Excuse me.” it said to his mind “One wonder, just what are you?”
“I…am…a… druid” Deras replied, for some reason his speech was slowed
“A druid? I have never seen one quiet like you before.” the tone of the deer was one of puzzlement and curiosity. Deras looked at his hand and then saw what the deer ment, his skin and fur had been replaced by bark of a russet brown, moving his hands up to his face slowly, he felt that his face had changed as well
“May… one… ask… as… to… which… way… the… lake… lies?” Deras asked slowly, for now everything the druid did was at a slower pace than before
“Why yes, it lies that way.” the deer replied pointing with her muzzle
“My…thanks” he replied slowly moving of in the direction the deer had pointed, moving at a rather sedate pace, even at a run, it took Deras longer to get there than normal, but get there he did, he peered into the crystal clear waters of Lake Elune’ara, he could clearly see the face looking back at him was that of a treeant, he could almost feel the restorative powers of the earth flow though him, then as if changing from one of his animal forms the druid slipped out of this tree form and back into his own, it didn’t take all that long, soon he got the hang of switching between the tree form and the druid form with very little problems.
“So you are a druid, though I have never seen one din that guise before.” can a gentle voice form behind, Deras spun to see that the deer had followed him
“I did tell you that, I do not make a habit of telling non truths” he responded calmly, he chose that turn of phrase as the deer had no concept of what a lie was, she studied him for a moment
“Tell me druid, you seem a nice enough, are you able to change into a form to suit me?” she asked with a twinkle in her eye
“Alas I cannot my friend, and besides I am already with a mate.” Again he had to chose his words so that the deer would not be mistaken as to what he meant, besides, he thought, its not like I’m going to tell Tova the exact contents of the convocation, he would not lie to her, just forget a few details
“Oh…. That is a shame” the deer said with catch in the voice, perhaps I can find some one else to be my mate.” with that she turned and bounded back across the road and then disappeared back into the woods. With a small chuckle and a lopsided grin Deras walked back to the town of Nighthaven.

As the druid approached the entrance to the town, an aged druid came out and meet him
“I have been expecting you” he said as way of greeting “I see that you have been granted the ability to change in to the Tree of Life.” Then everything became clear, Deras had been selected to be able to change to this form and he could use the power to heal, and it would allow nothing more than that.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:51 pm

Deras lay under the rug for a few moment his eyes scanning the inside of the tent, he could feel the warmth of his newly married wife next to him, her breathing regular and soft, she was beautiful when awake, but asleep something indefinable was added to Tova’s features, it made the druid fall in love with her again. Moving carefully Deras slid from under the rug avoiding waking his beloved, slipping into his plain green robe the black taur walked form the tent making as little noise as possible, as he got to the tent flaps, Tova stirred and moaned in her sleep, looking down on her, the druid smiled, perhaps, he thought, now that I am married, my life will settle down, he quickly left the tent that he now shared with his family, how strange he thought to himself, first I did not even want it, now, it is a family home. The druid strode to the east side of the Spirit Rise, the sun had not yet risen, but he knew it to be only a few moments away. Slowly the sun rose over the horizon the first ray of light just barely managing to get over the cliff wall, the golden light started to fill the valley of Mulgore, chasing the shadows of night away. Even as a young man he had always watched the rising of the new sun, it had always filled him with hope, and now it also gave him a sense of a new beginning, his wife, Tova lay sleeping in the tent, their adopted daughter out in the world training, get stronger, the dawning days rays washed over him, and yet they also washed though him, almost cleaning the stain on his soul, almost.

Deras took this time too look back at the previous day, He and Silver had fought the Silithid in the barren wasteland of Silithus, the fights had been hard, but the pair had won. Even as the wedding approached, he remembered a few of his brothers talking to him, one asked him if he was nervous, Basslar he thought, his response was not what Deras had expected
“No, there is nothing to be nervous about, the wedding will happen, every thing is ready, the only thing that cannot be controlled is weather the guests turn up, and they are not really that important” That had been a bit of a lie, he was nervous, but there was no point in letting it show, inside he was feeling like a leaf in a strong breeze. then he looked back at the wedding, okay so there had only been four of his brothers there, so, rather a small intimate ceremony than a large carnival affair. Hinun had conducted the ceremony as both Tova and he had wanted, the wording was spot on, even the blessing of the earth mother filled him with a wonder, at the end of the ceremony she had sung Basslar’s song, he could feel the tears filling his eyes even now, if Hinun and Basslar wanted to they would reduce all of the bluff to tears, even the very earth itself, then had come the gifts, form Gerna a ring for her and a necklace for him, both glowing green, looking down he pulled the amulet at the end of the necklace out, it still glowed a strong emerald green, then he looked at his pocket watch, it was ticking away strongly, but as far as he knew Deras had never been late for anything, Silvers gift baffled him slightly, the powerful mojo and the huge emerald, perhaps a twisted joke or something, who knows he thought to himself, Pin had given him some volatile rum, perhaps not the best thing to drink, seeing as he knew that goblins use it in there rocket fuel. Then his minds eye came to the ornately carved herb pipe, the body of the pipe was carved into the shape of a fire bloom, perhaps this one wont get any use, he thought to himself, but I do know it is the one I will treasure the most, there had been other gifts, as well, like Basslar’s fire work display, even the spirits, though Silver had given there blessing, though it had left him slightly light headed afterwards. The druid mind went over the party that had been at Thunder Bluff, most of the younger males had decided to get drunk, well he thought, there will be some monumental headaches when they wake up, Hinun had decided to forgo the hangover and instead went for melon juice and milk, he smiled at that memory, and of the memory that had made Hinun give up on the drink. At one point during the party, the druid had heard a voice in the wind, only a whisper at first, but soon the voice was loud enough to be heard clearly, Deras suddenly looked to his left, there standing on thin air, only a few feet away was the form of a cat, standing on its hind legs, and two sets of arms came from the shoulder, next to him was a tauren, a male of middling years, recognition came instantly to him of who the other figure was.
“I see you have found happiness Deras, I told you that the one called Shey was not the one you where destined to live your life with. I give you my blessing, and know that I will watch over you always.” said the spirit of the panther totem, Deras said nothing,, then the other spirit spoke.
“Know, that I am pleased with you my son, once you had strayed form the path that you where destined to walk, but now I see that perhaps it was necessary for it, I love you my boy, always have done, and I shall always will do, walk with pride, honour and love.” Deras again said nothing just mearly nodded and smiled.
“Good bye my son, be happy” said the tauren spirit as it faded out of sight, good bye father, good bye he yelled out in the silence of his mind. Tova had looked at him with a questioning look, obviously the messages the spirits carried had been for him alone, perhaps he will tell Tova about it one day, then again perhaps not. Before they had retired to what was once his tent Deras had played two melodies for Tova on his simple wooden flute, the last tune the druid hit a bum note, he alwaysed just missed that note, every time, maybe I should practise he thought, ahh well what will be will be. The night they had spent int the tent, was one of magic and love, the aging druid had never been with a woman like this before, but after suppressing his nerves he found that it wasn’t all that difficult and it seemed to him to come quiet naturally to him. Opening his eyes Deras found that the sun was high up in the sky, he must have been standing there for at least and hour thinking back on the days events, slowly he turned back towards the tent.
“this is a new chapter in my life.” the druid mumbled to himself “may it be the longest chapter and the happiest.” he added upon entering the tent he saw Tova was propped up on one elbow the rug still covering her body.
“So where have you been my sweet?” she asked him with a voice that could melt even the hardest of hearts
“I’m sorry my beloved” he replied “I was watching the sunrise”, I guess this is one habit that will take a long time to break.”
“Oh I see, then perhaps I shall enjoy trying to break this habit of yours.” she grinned at him. Deras walked over to his wife and sat down beside her, the pair embraced, before kissing, again Deras felt that he finally found where he belonged, in the arms of the taurette that he loved.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:52 pm

He stood staring at the two massive cowled figures, there eyes burning looking at nothing, in between them stood the entrance, a doorway, and beyond it lay his destiny. Even from the edge of the crater the Dark Portal looked huge, now standing before it, it was colossal, it dwarfed the large tauren, deep in his mind the distant, emotionless voice spoke to the druid
“Every journey begins with a single step. I will be with thee always.” Easy for you to say Deras thought, I’m the one that has to do the walking, stealing himself, the druid took that first step, and walked though the swirling vortex. Deras felt no movement, no dislocation, as his hoof touched the ground on the other side. Looking round the first thing the black tauren saw was the massive demon, then he saw members of both the Horde and the Alliance guarding the stairs to the Dark Portal, his training as a solder instantly kicked in and he knew that he was not needed here, The Cenarion Circle had instructed Deras to meet up with the expedition that had already been sent though, and he wasn’t going to do that by staying at the portal, a second, more detailed look round instantly revealed the Flight Master, quickly moving over to her, the black furred druid found that he could get a flight to a fort that the orcs had built, having named it after there chieftain and warlord Thrall, so Deras climbed on the back of a wyrven and winged his was to Thrallmar.

Flying over what had been named Hellfire Peninsular the keen eyed druid could see vast number of demons, not just a few or even at the most hundreds, the numbers Deras could see were thousands, and all of varying size and power, the most powerful were the metal monstrosities that stood taller than the totem tower in Thunder Bluff, the trip was swift, but already the Druids heart had become heavy
“How can anybody stand up to that army of demons?” he said in a soft voice
“How indeed, you are not alone in this fight, you have many allies even if they do not realise that they are, and
Now, many age old enmities are washing away, the Horde and the Alliance no longer fight so much against each other” replied the spirit that had taken residence in his body. Deras did not stay long in Thrallmar, and when he left the fort he struck out west, but was soon jumped upon by orcs that had been corrupted by the Burning Legion, Fel Orcs they called themselves, fighting tooth and claw, Deras broke free and ran as fast as the swift form of the cheetah would allow, leaving the red orcs far behind, soon all they were able to do was hurl insults, finally the druid was out of range to hear those as well and continued westwards. Travelling now at the increased the black tauren covered much ground, passing between the shattered walls of the Hellfire Keep, his sharp sense of smell caught the odour of feted and stagnant waters as he passed the Pools of Aggonar. It took only ten minuets to run to find a small band of druids of the Cenarion Expedition, changing his form back to that of a tauren, Deras looked round, there were only five of them, though one did look familiar to him
“Deras, is that you?” spoke the female Tauren
“Yes I am Deras and you….” He looked closer at the Taurette “Miarn, by the Eathmother it is you isn’t it?”
“Yes it is me, I surprised to see you still alive, last I heard you had gone mad and started killing.”
The black Tauren smiled sadly “I had, but that life is behind me, I have found a new life, a new family and a new love.”
“A new love? You know Niana was devastated when you did not return to Moonglade.” It was said more as a statement than as a question
“It is understandable, but she and I were not to be, never where, what happened to her?”
“She fought as Mount Hyjal, she was on the western pass, she did not survive the battle.” A sense of loss washed over Deras, although he was now with Tova he would never forget Niana, she was his first love, and that was something special to him. “What of your new life and family then?” she asked, seeing the sadness in Deras’ emerald green eyes.
“I am now an Elder of the Greywolf Tribe, and I care about them all deeply, but especially my wife Tova and my adopted daughter Kiala.”
“You married? Wow, that’s quiet something, and I have heard of this Kiala, apparently she is making quiet a stir at Moonglade, but if she is anything like you, then I understand why.”
“Me?” Deras replied in shock “surely not?”
“You had the ability to grasp the hardest concept and make it seam easy. Both me and Vo envied and admired you.”
“I had no idea, anyway, how is Vo?”
“He is annoyed, that I got to come here and he didn’t, though he will be coming though that portal soon. He and I got married you know?” Deras smiled at his former friend and study mate. “You had best be off, the is a village set up further along the road, cant miss it, Oh, and if you get the chance I suggest you go and visit Shattrath, it is quiet a marvellous city.” Finally the pair embraced each other before the black male tauren slipped back into the form of the sleek cheetah and followed the road west again, it wasn’t long until the cats sharp sense of smell caught the scent of fresh water, looking down the hill Deras could see that what lay before him was a large freshwater swamp with islands of solid land poking up here and there, and there before him lay the village Miarn had spoken of, the one built by the Cenarion Expedition had built.

Arriving in the village Deras reported to the leader of the expedition, after waiting what seemed like days, but was more like hours for a task, Deras decided to take his leave and visit the city that Miarn had mentioned, it took only a few minuets to get directions to the place and soon he was running south from Cenarion Refuge, the wooden walkways that had bee constructed acted just like a road, so travel was swift, or it would have been if the druid had not stopped and looked at all the new creatures that inhabited the swamp, but still, there was one being that Deras instantly recognised, the Naga. Oh well, he thought, where there is water, there is Naga, or murlocs. The sun was nearly setting when the cheetah approached the city, from somewhere inside a voice called out to him, or so it felt, then Deras realised it wasn’t calling him, it was calling the spirit he had carried from Azeroth. Slowly, unsure of what to expect the aging druid entered the city, the voice calling out stronger and stronger as he approached the centre of the city. Cautiously, Deras made his way inside the central structure and there, in the middle was a being that was incomprehensible to him, Deras could not see a head, nor any limb but it was there, finally, with his curiosity overwhelming him the black tauren approached the being, as he was about to speak, the life form spoke to him, to his mind, then rudely was shoved aside as the spirit he carried and this creature spoke, at length, to each other. After what seemed like hours, the spirit and this immense thing that floated in the air broke of there communications.
“What in the name of the Earthmother was, is, that?” asked the stunned druid to his spirit companion
“That is a Naaru, a being of light.”
“A Naaru? I have never heard of them.”
“As thou know, there is a balance to everything in the universe, the Naaru are the balance of the demons.”
“I see… Does that mean there is a balance for me? I mean, if I am your child, and there is a balance for everything, then what is my balance?”
“Very perceptive, and yes there is, thou art a child of nature, a carer of life, thy balance is thy sister, a child of the spirits.” Deras nodded, and understood, he was destined to be a druid, and to balance that, Thanora was destined to be a Spirit Seer. “Thou have come along way, yet thou still a fair way to travel, and know that here, I have very little power but I will aid thee as best I can.” Deras said nothing but walked over to a portal and entered, to find him self standing in the Pools of Vision, good, he thought, a quick way to get home, and to the arms of Tova.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:56 pm

The night air was cool, it was late, and most of the inhabitants of Thunder Bluff had already gone to their beds, though the druid’s mind still reeled, the words spoken to him by his wife had stung him to the quick, He still felt the tears flowing from his eyes, he wish he could make her understand, this was something he felt had to be done, something he should have done many years ago
“This plan is flawed, moreover what you seek should not come to pass” came the voice in his mind
“I don’t care, it is something I need to do.” Replied Deras is an angry and upset tone
“What thou seek to do is against my law and my mother, thy plan will not pass and she will not survive, I ask thee, do not do this.” The druid did not reply, he only moved forwards, towards the tower, the fear of losing Tova still ate at him, he did not want to see her go, nor did he want to see her upset, even so, he still moved towards Tal and his wyrvens. It took only a few hours to fly to Tanaris and Gadgetzan. All that time the spirit in his mind had tried to talk Deras out of what he was planning, nothing worked, the black druid was determined to do this, nothing was going to stop him, no-one was going to stop him. He slipped into the form of the swift cheetah and headed across the desert towards the Caverns of Time.

He moved swiftly though the entrance, and down the long winding path, and headed towards the entrance to the time portal, the one that lead to the one place he had hated of his life, he was going to go back to the battle of Mount Hyjal, slowly he entered the swirling mist that marked the entrance of the portal, he walked though, and there he saw the path that he had followed all those six years ago, every step he took felt like he was walking towards his doom again, even though he knew that he would survive. Deras continued the trek up the mountain path. Approaching the camp of the horde, he saw something that struck his chest, there standing amid a group of Taurens, was a Taurette, he fur was a midnight black, walking past her he saw some one else, some one so familiar that he knew instantly who it was, it was himself, a Deras of the past, the older Deras almost shouted out, but then thought better of it. Try as he might Deras could not work up the courage to speak to Nirana, what would he say to her and what would she say to him? Without warning a horn blasted out, those that were in charge started shouting orders, not even thinking Deras moved into position, next to him stood the female druid, she looked at him, a flicker of recognition flashed across her eyes.
“Do I know you?” she asked
“You do, we meet along time ago, when the land was at peace.”
“You seem familiar, though I can’t quiet place you.”
“Think back, think back though time, to a time when you were truly happy.”
Another horn blasted, and the hunters loaded there guns, and bows, mages, and other casters readied spells. Suddenly, from down the path came a howl, followed by another, then the hell hounds came charging up the path, the large Alpha at the center of the pack
“Take out the big one!” Yelled Deras, he had been though this before, he knew what to do, those in charge were less than impressed with someone else taking control. But the hunters listend to the bellowed order, and unloaded a withering amount of fire power into the large Fel hound, it dropped from sight, and those smaller Fel hounds turned and fled
“You really know your stuff, maybe if you were younger…” Nirana said
“Sorry, but I am already married.”
“Oh.. that’s a shame, you know you do remind me of someone”
“Really? Who?” he asked
“Yes really, a young Taur I was due to marry.” Then something happened that took the druid by surprise, there was a loud twang, followed by a dull, wet thud. The look in Nirana’s eyes was one of pain.
“The pain….”
“Nirana, Im so sorry” Deras said, the words tumbling out of his mouth
“How..?” she asked looking into Deras’s eyes
“I am Deras, it has been too long, and I am sorry for leaving you.” Tears filling his eyes
“You left me for almost thirty years, how could?” the anger in her voice was almost overwhelming, she coughed and a spray of crimson flew from her mouth. “My love died the day I realised you were not coming back.” She coughed again “I hate you Deras, I hate you with every fibre of my being, and now I am to die, I curse you...” she shuddered and coughed, the blood trickled out of the corner of her mouth, he looked at her, shock registering on his face. “What did… you expect… me to welcome you… with open arms?” With that she died. The day was full of fighting and for that day, Deras was the Black Death again. But weary of both body and mind, Deras walked back. You’re an idiot, he thought to himself, did you expect to make everything better? He had no answer, he realised that he should have listened to Tova, and that he should not have done this, now a woman he had loved hated him, and the woman he loved with all his passion hated him. Tova was right, this was more for him than it had been for Nirana, and now the full force of what that meant hit him, he had worked hard since joining the Greywolf Tribe, nothing he had done had been for himself, until now, and that one thing had almost broken him. He returned home, felling the worst he had ever felt in his life.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Mon May 26, 2008 11:59 pm

The sun shone brightly over head, with white clouds skidding past, but the druid in the glade did not notice, he was lost in his thoughts, grazing quite happily was Faran, the kodo that was now Deras’ companion, where ever he went. The brown kodo, had been bought several weeks ago, it was a lame, so the handler was quite surprised to when the druid bought him
“He might fetch good money if you sell him in cuts.” said the Tauren with almost sneer
“He will be a fine mount, he just needs some care, that is all.” replied the druid, with out looking at the seller, slowly the black Tauren approached the lame kodo
“Easy friend, I only want to have a look at that injured leg of yours.” The kodo looked almost wild, but slowly started to settle down as the druid spoke to it. Reaching the Large beast Deras reached out to the lame leg and ran his gentle hand over it.
“Ahh, I see the problem, shouldn’t take to long to heal that up.” said the black Tauren softly to the large kodo. Bowing his head in concentration and weaving his hands Deras started to cast a spell, his hands were covered in a green energy which was sent out towards the kodo. The Kodo started to bounce around and snort loudly from its nose and cry out, but almost as soon as it started acting wild, it stopped, looking confused the brown beast looked at the lame leg, finally it walked over to the druid without a trace of its lameness showing, the face of the Tauren selling the kodos almost seemed to fall off as the kodo strode over to the large black Tauren. The kodo muzzled the druid, almost sending Deras to the floor
“He will be fine now.” Deras said to the open mouthed salesman, who just nodded, still unable to speak. Mounting up Deras rode away from Bloodhoof Village
“What shall we call you my friend, I cant keep calling you Kodo.” The kodo swung its head round to look at its rider, then snorted and carried on towards the Barrens, “Hmmm, I think I will have to think on this.”

The ride took them through the Barrens and into Ashenvale, Deras had decided to pass Splintertree Post and ride slightly deeper into the woods, it was not long after they had passed the post that Deras lead his mount of the road into a small clearing and dismounted
“I’ve got your name my friend, I think you should be named Faran, after my father, you have many of his qualities, you are gentle and strong at the same time and many, many indefinable things that make you like him.” The kodo swung its head to look at the druid, almost looking for any trace of an insult, then licked the druid from chin to forehead. “I take it you approve of your name then.” said Dears wiping the kodo saliva from his face, then reached out and stroked the kodo on the head.
“Why don’t we rest here then Faran, we are in no rush to go anywhere.” The kodo swung his massive head and looked round before trotting off to graze on the long grass. Deras went and sat down under a large tree, with his back against the trunk he closed his eyes. The black druid had lost track of time and didn’t move until he no longer felt the rhythmic pounding of Faran’s steps, Deras opened his eyes to see that a deer had entered the glade and Faran was standing close to it new owner.
“Faran, my friend that is a deer. It does not attack any thing except the grass.”
The aging druid rose to his hooves and moved slowly to the deer, talking softly as he went. Finally the deer nervously walked towards Deras, its dark coat shimmering in the sunlight, while its ears and eyes alert for any sign of danger, slowly and cautiously it moved to the druid and sniffed at him, finally happy that it was not about to be attacked the deer settled down and started to crop at the grass, Deras went back to the tree sat down and fell asleep. It was a dreamless sleep and was only aroused when he felt a gentle weight being put in his lap, he opened eyes slowly and saw that the deer had rested it head in his lap and had fallen asleep, that was when he heard the howl. She was sleek and grey her eyes a deep yellow and also searching, her face had locked onto the deer that was trembling at the druid’s side.
“Please mother wolf, do not fight here, I have some meat in my pack that you can have.” Deras searched though his pack until he found the cured ham that was going to be his lunch, and held it out. The wolf prowled closer and ripped the meat out of the hand that held it, she devoured most of it but also ripped small chunks off the bone, that was when she barked and a half dozen small cubs came out the woods and fell on the meat.
“I see, you hunt to feed your young. Do you not have sisters or brothers that can help you in this chore?” The wolf gave a long steady hard look at the druid. “I see, well I could take you to moon glad, there are other druids who could help you to look after your young and yourself.” The she-wolf looked as though she thought about it, she trotted over and liked the palms of the Tauren. Gathering up the cubs into his arms Deras turned to Faran.
“Stay here, I wont be long.” the kodo retuned a look that said ‘Do I look stupid’ “I’m sorry my friend, I did not mean to be offensive.” Faran walked off and started grazing again, the deer looked at the mass of grey moving fur in the druids arms then danced off into the woods. Deras cast the spell that teleported him to Moonglade. Deras felt the slight lurch in his stomach that always followed the spells release. The woods around him had changed, and took on that familiar look of the trees he had know over twenty years ago. A fellow druid came out and meet the black Tauren. The conversation was brief but Deras handed over the cubs and said good bye to the mother wolf, just before he left Deras heard what sounded like a voice saying
“You are back, and I am proud.” The lone druid looked round but saw no-one, he then teleported back to where Faran was grazing
“My friend let us go, I think the other Greywolves, will be waiting.” The large kodo walked over to Deras who then mounted before riding back to Mulgore took one look around then rode off.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Tue May 27, 2008 12:03 am

He had roamed round Mulgore plains hunting for his friend, he had called him several times and still Faran had not come, it was the first time in many days the black Tauren had called, now Deras was worried, the kodo had always come trotting over to him when ever he called, Deras was worried. Slipping into his cheetah form he ran tough the grass, the dew was damp, soaking into his fur, small dust clouds rose from where the paws fell, the scent of dew damp grass filled his nostrils, also mixing in with the scent was something else, something that filled the druid with dread, it was blood, recent blood, tracking the scent of blood Deras came across a small heard of Kodo, the had been hunted and killed, checking around Deras saw that there was a small trail of blood leading away. Slow but surely the cat followed the red trail, ahead he could see a small grove of trees. As he reached the trees Deras could see a large mound in between them, as he got closer he saw it move, slowly the cheetah approached the moving mound, what the black druid saw shocked him to the core, in the trees lay on its side a male kodo, and the black Tauren automatically knew that this was his friend, Faran, rushing to his side Deras looked into the Kodo’s eyes, and saw that there was nothing his healing powers could do. Shifting back to his Tauren form Deras held the massive head in his arms, looking down the Kodo’s massive body he could see that there where many arrows jutting out and a few bullet holes, Faran and the heard had been hunted by Tauren hunters, closing his eyes Deras said a prayer for the dying beast, the large Kodo gave a massive ragged sigh, then died, careful and tenderly Deras laid the massive head down on the green grass, slowly and surely the black druid rose to his hooves
“Good bye my friend, may your spirit know peace.” Said the Taur, before he walked back to Thunder Bluff, his mood was sombre as he stepped onto the lift that rose the many feet to the city, and quickly made his way home. As he approached the tent that was now the Blackhoof family home the druid felt a weight settle on his shoulder, I have lost to many friends, he thought to himself, upon entering the tent Deras saw that his wife, Tova, was not there, with a tear in his eye, Deras hung the kodo bridle up, and with that he vowed that he would not take another kodo for a mount, he couldn’t, Faran was his friend and allowed the druid to ride his back out of that friendship, Deras did not believe in owning another living being, nor using it for something it would not want.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Tue May 27, 2008 12:05 am

The druid had always wondered what it was like to fly, not on the back of a wyven of bat as he done so before but under his own power, to fly free like a bird, and now was his chance, the druid trainers now thought Deras worthy of the form of the Stormcrow, only the most powerful druids gained this form, and all druids see it as an honour and so did Deras, and it was understandable why, The strength needed to keep aloft was a strain for the druid, but with practise it became easier, and this had been told to Deras. With his left arm still unable to function, the druid carefully removed his hearthstone, it took a few moments for the black Tauren to activate the small stone, the glow began as soon as it was activated and the small lurch that Deras felt meant he knew that he had arrived in the city of Shattrath. There was two was that Deras could learn to fly, leap from a cliff or try and launch himself into the sky from the ground, he decide for the launch option, he knew Tova would kill him if he tried to learn to fly by leaping of a high cliff, especially if he didn’t learn in time. Moving to a quiet place where there would be few or no spectators, the first few attempts where just him jumping and flapping, doing nothing more than making a lot of noise and exhausting the druid, shifting back to his normal form the black Tauren sat down and thought, what he need he realised was an instructor, and who better than a bird. It took longer than he thought to find a bird he was happy with, but his perseverance paid of, though Deras found himself in Nagrand, he had found a large hawk.
“Well meet noble hunter.”
“Well meet noble druid, what may I do to aid you?” the hawk responded
“I seek one such as yourself who may instruct me in the art of flight.” The hawk eyed up the aging druid and laughed
“Fly? You? You have no feathers to fly with, and you are far too heavy to leave the ground, leave the flying for those who are suited to it.” Deras said nothing, but blurred into the form of the Stormcrow.
“Will this form do?”
Ahh, now that is a different matter, I will train you noble druid.” It took a few more attempts to even begin to make long hops, after what felt like days, but was more like hours, the druid began to get the hang of it, his flapping was more controlled, soon the hops became longer and longer, they also got higher and higher, then with out thought or warning the hopping ceased, his feet did not come back down to touch the ground.
“Now lift your feet, and fly upwards slightly, get more height.” Called the hawk, circling just above Deras’ feathered form, the stormcrow started to angle his body upwards, and lifted his feet into his feathered body, the sensation he now felt was unbelievable, now he felt true freedom, freer than he had ever done before, with his launch mastered Deras could now take off from running in his druid form, looking down on the world filled the druids mind with sights he would normal have missed, or could not have taken in from the ground. He swung his feathered form and headed back for the city.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Tue May 27, 2008 12:07 am

He lay in the darkness of the tent, he could feel the warmth of his beloved wife next to him, her steady breathing shallow and steady, letting the taur know that she had fallen asleep, he closed his eye and eventually drifted off to sleep.

The field the druid walked across was unbroken and full of life, insects buzzed from flower to flower, the birds swooped and dived, Deras knew that this was not a plain that existed in the real world. It was then that a sudden breeze on his back, so the tauran turned to see where this wind was coming from, the breeze became a gust, which increased to a steady wind and then a howling gale that ripped up the meadow in its wake, a huge dark cloud rolled and boiled and seethed just ahead of the winds driven like some dark foul demon, the insects disappeared, the birds flew as fast as they could but yet failed to out pace the storm and where drawn in and they too vanished. The black could raged past the druid, he could smell the scent of decay and death in the air, it was then that Deras heard the footsteps, it sounded like an army marching but the rhythm was that of an organised army, but that of a horde, of a mass of untrained people. The cloud raced on and the air was clear again, it was then that the druid could see the army, some were corpses others were spirits, and they stretched from horizon to horizon, the druid let out a long drawn out sigh, slowly he took out his stave and set himself. It was then that the horde of the living dead charged the lone Tauren. He fought bravely but was soon overwhelmed, claws, teeth and jagged blades tore at his flesh

His eyes snapped open, and staring back at him were the love filed hazel eyes of Tova
“What’s wrong my dear? You were screaming in your sleep?” she asked, concern filled her musical voice
“Just a nightmare my sweet.” Replied Deras still slightly shaking, this had scared him like nothing had done so before. Gently and maternally Tova cradled the druids head before the pair returned to sleep, though it would not be long, as the sun was already cresting the mountain wall to the north.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Tue May 27, 2008 12:09 am

The dream had continued to haunt him, Deras dreaded sleep, as this would scare him more than anything he had ever faced and the black druid didn’t scare easily, and he knew it, yet sleep still claimed him.

He was back on the plain, though this time he was not alone, he was in between two spirits, one side was a wolf, elderly and grey with kind eyes and an almost easy manner, the other was one he knew, it was the spirit of his totem, it stood there in the form of the panther, the green eyes staring at something in the distance, the black cloud came and removed all living things before it, only Deras, the wolf and the panther remained stood facing out into the now bleak wasteland
“Stand strong.” The panther said to the druid
“We all stand with you” said the wolf, its voice a multitude of voices in one, all recognisable and yet not at the same time.
“Wha…what it is that comes?” stammered the now shaky druid
“They are the ghosts of your past come to haunt you,.” The panther said
“Why…Why now of all times?”
“Because it is a test, and you have not been able to stand alone, now we all stand with you.” Said the Wolf
“Who are you?” Deras asked of the wolf
“We are –the- wolf, of those gone, those that are, and those yet to be.”
This time the swarm of spirits and undead swarmed the druid, yet he did not flinch, the spirits presence giving him some strength.
The field vanished but Deras could here the voices of the spirit speeking
“That was an unfair test, no man, no matter how good could hope to stand against the ghosts of there past, especially one like him.”
“It was a fair test, we must know, we must ascertain weather his place amongst ours is necessary, we did hope that he would not have stood alone, but we did not expect you.”
The conversation continued on, but sleep, deep and dreamless claimed him and the voices drifted off.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next