Heritage of Zandalar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Troll Archaeology (may be spoilers)

5 posters

Go down

Troll Archaeology (may be spoilers) Empty Troll Archaeology (may be spoilers)

Post  Sertah Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Troll Archaeology

After the christmas holidays and a long-awaited break from my studying, I had some free time. Naturally i decided to get a copy of the Cataclysm 10-day trial and see what was new.
As you all know the new stuff in Cataclysm is mind-blowing, but after my blind levelling spree that stopped just 1 exp short from level 81, one of the new features really caught my attention. Archaeology.
I'm not sure whether this has been touched on in other parts of the site, but there is a lot of lore to be found for those willing to waste hours digging and flying from place to place. I've spent the last couple of days doing this and have finally collected all of the common troll artefacts and so decided to catalogue them here! (I realise that their descriptions could easily be found on websites like Wowhead, but that is nowhere near as much fun!)
Words in Itallics are the legit description from the archaeology profession itself, anything else is just my speculation!
So here it is, the (almost) complete documentation of Troll Archaeology!

WARNING: THIS PROBABLY COUNTS AS SPOILERS TO SOME PEOPLE

Atal'ai Scepter

Atal'ai' means 'devoted ones' in Zandali, and this twisted group of trolls were devoted to the blood god, Hakkar: a being of extreme malevelonce who recently tasted defeat in Zul'Gurub, ancient capital of the Gurubashi empire. This scepter is decorated with a bat motif, possibly a connection to Hir'eek, the primal bat god.

We all know about the Ata'lai, the sect of high priests that helped persuade, or rather coerce the Gurubashi Empire into worshipping the blood god. What interests me is the reference to the bat motif, perhaps there are other sceptres with designs depicting the other primal loa of Zul'Gurub?

Bracelet of Jade and Coins

This bracelet was made by connecting troll coins and polished bits of jade with a silver chain. Since trolls tend to prefer gold in their jewelry, it's possible the silver was captured from another race, which would make this piece of more recent origin. The coins are unusual and depict the leering faces of a series of lady trolls.

The silver is the most interesting factor in this artefact's description, perhaps the race it was stolen from were the high elves or humans during the troll wars?

Cinnabar Bijou

This small token was formed from a volcanic - and toxic - red mineral. The inscription on the reverse states that it was once the property of Min'loth the Serpent. Traces of barnacles suggest that the bijou has spent time underwater.

Bijou are particularly exciting to me, and not just because because they meant one more step on the long road to being exalted with the Zandalar tribe. Bijou is a french word for jewel, but is connected with the creole language of the carribean practitioners of voodoo.
The most interesting thing to me is what it's made of. Cinnabar, the volcanic mineral (thought by the ancient Chinese to be an ingredient for an elixir of life) this, along with the mention of barnacles suggests to me that perhaps this artefacts has it's origins on Kezan or the Lost Isles, or other volcanic islands in the south seas.

Drakkari Sacrificial Knife

The Drakkari tribe was driven north by other trolls and eventually settled in Northrend, where they survived the harsh elements to establish their own nation. The arrival of the Lich King was a great threat to the Drakkari. One of their least sensible attempts to fight off the Lich King was to begin sacrificing their own animal gods: the serpent, snow leopard, bear, wind serpent, mammoth and rhino.

Eerie Smoulderthorn Idol

When the high elves went to war with the Amani trolls, the elves could not understand how the trolls' weapon enchantments were more powerful than their own. The elves then stole ancient knowledge from troll spellcasters, including the famous Zanza, and used idols such as this one to craft their own versions of the troll enchantments.

The most exciting thing about this artefact is the possible connections it alludes to. I have extrapolated from this that the Savage Guard enchantments offered by Zanza the Restless are in fact the original versions of the Arcanums obtained in dire maul in exchange for the Librams. Also, the Royal Seals of Eldre'Thalas could be blessed with an elf version of Zanza's own class specific enchantments. Some of you have probably already figured this out!

Feathered Gold Earring

The feathers are probably from scarlet and green macaws, though they have been well preserved. The gold is twisted to appear like thorns or veins. The pin used to pierce the ear looks particularly painful.

Fetish of Hir'eek

Hir'eek is one of the animal spirits worshipped by southern trolls. Hir'eek's totemic animal is the bat. Jeklik, a high priestss of Zandalar, was one of Hir'eek's most famous followers.

Fine Bloodscalp Dinnerware

Okay, it's really just a big knife, but in a culture like the Bloodscalp tribe, any use of actual utensils counts as fine dining.

Gahz'rilla Figurine

The sand trolls summoned this huge, white hydra from a sacred pool within Zul'Farrak and then proceeded to worship it as a god. Gahz'rilla's scales are electrified, and even this small figurine seems alive with energy. Within Zul'Farrak, the legendary hydra is a common motif in architecture and ornamentation.

Wow, can't believe I missed this one. I've always been interested in the Hydra that make guest appearances in troll religion, this guy, and the almost definitely related Gahz'Ranka of the old gurubashi city (who appears to have a lot less surrounding lore). I've always though that Gahz'Rilla might be some kind of bastardised or primitive Loa of the sandfury, as well as the elusive 'Sul' probably a giant basilisk. It's been said that Gahz'Rilla is a demigod already, being worshipped is a trait shared by other hydra, notably Aku'Mai of Blackfathom Deeps, said to be a pet of the Old Gods themselves!

Jade Asp with Ruby Eyes

This tiny figurine could possibly be a representation of High Priest Venoxis, though snakes of all types are venerated throughout troll culture. The delicate jaws on this figurine can be closed, presumably to draw blood from a finger.

I like the suggestion of witchcraft this artefact has, revealing blood-letting being a part of Voodoo.

Lizard Foot Charm

This is a small mummified foot of a jungle lizard. Any magic it once contained has long since been drained.

I like this artefact simply because it feels so primitively magical, similar to the cold basilisk eye trinket, I imagine that this belonged to a lizard with already magical properties, and was as such used by the trolls before more sophisticated forms of magic were discovered.

Skull-Shaped Planter

Forest trolls have a strong affinity for plant life. The trolls' bodies themselves can support simple vegetation, such as moss or algae, which gives them their characteristic green color.

Tooth with Gold Filling

This tooth has a frightening crack in it, and you wonder whether it was filled with gold to treat an injury or whether the tooth was broken for some gruesome troll ritual.
Gold-Capped Troll Tusk, enough said!

Zandalari Voodoo Doll

Little is known about the emergence of voodoo among the trolls. The troll belief system is complex, full of dark spirits and primal, often animalistic gods known as loa.
I like to think that maybe these were used to create charms in the same way the punctured voodoo dolls found in Zul'Gurub were.

Zin'Rokh Destroyer of Worlds

No information as yet - I still haven't found this!

But still - we all should recognise this blade, it's what every warrior and hunter wanted from Hakkar, and seemingly has a forest troll counter-part in Jin'Rohk the Great Apocalypse

I can't wait until I discover that one, even if I can't wield it!
I'd just like to finish by saying I've missed you all a whole lot and maybe one day I can return to the greatest troll guild in the world!

Last edited by Sertah on Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sertah
Sertah
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Troll Archaeology (may be spoilers) Empty Re: Troll Archaeology (may be spoilers)

Post  Kaz'jo Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Impressive post!
I'm currently on 414 Archaeology, and my main goal in Archaeology itself is to find Zin'rokh, so a) I can have awesome weapon, b) I can dualwield it with my original Zin'rokh for my RP! ^^
If I'll find it first, I'll let you know.
Kaz'jo
Kaz'jo
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Troll Archaeology (may be spoilers) Empty Re: Troll Archaeology (may be spoilers)

Post  Ryleen Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Is the new Zin'rokh identical to the old one, or will you be able to see that you have one classic and one new?

Also, there is some interesting stuff in there, indeed. The day I get time to write my version 2 of the troll book, I'll be sure to use this.
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaz'jo Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:50 pm

From what I've seen so far, it's identical, maybe a bit darker and better textured. I'll tell you more once I'll find it. Razz
Kaz'jo
Kaz'jo
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Trinda Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:29 pm

According to your research, this great weapon was one of the many treasures of Hakkar the Soulflayer in Zul'Gurub. Hakkar was defeated years ago, and this sword passed through the hands of many powerful warriors and paladins before apparently becoming sundered. It is remarkable that you have been able to reforge it, but also a little troubling: if the Destroyer of Worlds has returned, perhaps the Soulflayer is not far behind.

That's the text you're looking for.
Happy hunting for the real deal! My warlock found this, which is unfortunate, but I'm happy I found it at all on any character. He has since sent it to my character that can use it, but I had hoped that the warrior would find it herself.

-------

Edit to add:

Also the Gahz'rilla Figurine text is as follows:
The sand trolls summoned this huge, white hydra from a sacred pool within Zul'Farrak and then proceeded to worship it as a god. Gahz'rilla's scales are electrified, and even this small figurine seems alive with energy. Within Zul'Farrak, the legendary hydra is a common motif in architecture and ornamentation.
Trinda
Trinda
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Euphrati Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:12 pm

According to your research, this great weapon was one of the many treasures of Hakkar the Soulflayer in Zul'Gurub. Hakkar was defeated years ago, and this sword passed through the hands of many powerful warriors and paladins before apparently becoming sundered. It is remarkable that you have been able to reforge it, but also a little troubling: if the Destroyer of Worlds has returned, perhaps the Soulflayer is not far behind.

Hope the hakkar comes back... in another raid form. Smile
Euphrati
Euphrati
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down