Troll rituals and ceremonies

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Troll rituals and ceremonies

Post  Snicka on Sun May 23, 2010 12:59 am

If we are planning to have holidays all year round, here's a list of voodoo holidays for inspiration:
http://www.mysticvoodoo.com/voodoo-holidays.htm
Apparently the most typical holiday is the "feeding" of the various Loa - technically sacrifices.

Warlord

View user profile http://heritageofzuljin.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Sun May 23, 2010 9:29 am

ooh, thanks Snicka Smile

incidentally, we had the memorial and funerals yesterday and i'll be posting the log soon Smile

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Months ago, Ryleen asked Taupod to be the godfather of her son once he's born, something Tau gladly accepted.

It's been gnawing at the back of my head ever since though, since the term 'godfather' sounds decidedly untrollish. So what I want to do is rename it and further define what it might mean in a troll context to have this relation to a child.

Rather than a separate title, it makes sense that it would be an addition to one's name. Anything could do, but I have stuck at 'Gar. It is a masculine title, since it makes sense for this to be a purely male thing. A child can have any number of mothers, but he will be helpless should his father die. The 'Gar is the one who steps in and cares for the child in his father's place, should he be orphaned. Most often, the 'Gar will probably be an uncle or grandfather or other close relative, but it is probably not unheard of to ask a close friend to the family.

The 'Gar like a godfather is expected to show interest in the child's upbringing, but probably not with the specific focus on spiritual and religious matters as a godfather would, but rather education and training in general. On some levels, the child is considered somewhat a part of the 'Gar's family even if the need to adopt it never arises.

What do you think? Any changes? Anything to add?
Ryleen
Headhunter

View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaali on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Could combine it with the Zul' and 'jin titles dependant on the expected role of the "Godfather" Zul' being the Spiritual side (as Zul is used to make a Voodoo master), and 'jin being more of a Warrior father-figure. Giving a title of Zul'Gar or Gar'jin depending on the desired meaning.

Inspiration for this came from the Zul'jin title.

Just some random musings.

Vaali
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:44 pm

But they're supposed to be additions to names, not replacements. For example, Tau would become Tau'Gar. Gen'jin, would be Gen'gar. Someone called Gar'jin would suggest their name is Gar, since 'jin is a title. Smile
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaali on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Ah but Zul'jin is not called Zul nor Jin, its an honourific Title. but it wouldnt be Tau'Gar, it would be Taupod'Gar, which, lets face it, is a mouthful. Gar'jin Taupod, or Taupod Gar'jin flows a bit better.

Fitting Troll titles to non-Trolls can be messy *grins*

Vaali
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:59 pm

well, lets see where the traditional idea behind godparents came from and then see how it fits in with what we know about trolls:

The idea of a godparent came about because converts to the early Christian church were usually adults whose parents were not Christians. The role of godparent was to provide a Christian mentor to help them in their journey as they embraced their new faith.

Over the years the role was refined to a supporting one in which other adults - often, in the Anglican tradition, two of the same sex as the baby and one of the opposite sex - agreed to help the parents instruct and inform their new offspring in the Christian faith. But this role has been eroded, and these days for many families the religious significance of a godparent is less apparent than the honorary status.

So, while we don't so much have the problem of our parents not sharing the same religion and therefore feel the need for nomiating a close family freind that does, we instead have the problem that most of us have no parents to fulfil this role anyway.

Also, in this case, the chosen godparent (also known as co-parent) is not even the same race nevermind a follower of the same religion and societal tradition. But, we can still make use of the idea:

But that's not to say that there isn't a role for a godparent as another supportive adult a parent can turn to for advice and help. Many parents hope their child's godparents will share, with them, a special interest in his or her upbringing and development - and many hope that, as the years roll by, their child will develop a special relationship with his godparents.

In fact as many of us no longer live close to our extended families, this supportive role of godparents could be more important than ever. "When I chose my daughter's godparents I hoped they'd be people I could turn to for a bit of help in the way I might turn to my sister if I lived nearer to her," says Andrea Simmonds. "I don't want to burden them, but it's nice to think that they're people who I can call and say, help! Could you have Olivia for a night, I'm really stuck!"

Others link the role of godparent with that of 'legal guardian' and ask them to take on the responsibility of bringing up the child if he or she was ever to be left orphaned. If you'd like this role for your child's godparents and the godparents are happy with it, you need to write it into your will with the help of a solicitor.

So, i think its more likely we'd call the person filling this role a guardian or co-parent and i like the addition of the suffix to denote it which as we've shown with Ry, doesn't have to include the whole name, right Ry'jin Wink This of course means Hadunka will be Had'Gar to 'Bats's girls Wink

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Zul'jin is a unique case. Most trolls aren't bold enough to use two titles at once, and certainly not two titles like that. The story goes that he for a while was zul'whateverhisnamewas'jin, but decided to drop his name for pronouncability.

I know Taupod would be Taupod'gar, but since Ry always refers to him as Tau rather than his full name, she'd probably call him Tau'gar.

As for Ry's name, Ry'jin is correct. Her name is Ry'Een, where Ryleen is a change done to make pronounciation easier for non-trolls. Smile Her name is Ry, 'Een is the suffix.
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:10 am

Ryleen wrote:Zul'jin is a unique case. Most trolls aren't bold enough to use two titles at once, and certainly not two titles like that. The story goes that he for a while was zul'whateverhisnamewas'jin, but decided to drop his name for pronouncability.

I think Zul'jin didn't drop his original name for the favour of his two titles because of pronouncability, but to emphasise his position. It didn't matter what his real name was, the only thing that mattered is that he's the "great voodoo chieftain" of all trolls.
There are many examples from the real world like that. For example, the original name (Gaius Octavius Thurinus) of a certain Roman emperor was almost completely forgotten, and he was simply called Augustus, meaning "the divine one" in Latin. Also, although Benito Mussolini is often referred to on his real name, during his reign he was simply called "Duce" (Italian for "Leader"), as well as Hitler was often called "Führer" (German for the same). But I could come up with many other leaders who were referred to on their titles instead of their names.

Back to the concept of "godfathers" in troll society - I think a "guardian co-father" figure the way Ryleen described would perfectly fit into troll culture, and it's nice that it can be used as a name suffix. The word "Gar" made me think of Master Gardin - although probably Gardin is his given name, since he has the (non-trollish) prefix "Master" before his name.

Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:32 am

i thought his name was master Gadrin?...

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:02 am

Indeed. Another name I misread for years. Just like Ogrimmar instead of Orgrimmar and zulfi instead of zufli. Razz My bad.

Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:45 am

heh, not to worry, i do it all the time myself Wink

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gen'jin on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:59 am

Ryleen wrote:But they're supposed to be additions to names, not replacements. For example, Tau would become Tau'Gar. Gen'jin, would be Gen'gar. ....

hehe awesome, I always favored the shadow Pokemons ^^

- Sorry late reply, just could't ressit Very Happy
Gen'jin
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hadunka on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:44 pm

Vypra wrote: This of course means Hadunka will be Had'Gar to 'Bats's girls Wink

Had'gar ... reminds me of some other name in wow .. cant remember what ...
Hadunka
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Hadunka wrote:

Had'gar the Soulflayer? Very Happy

Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  vajro on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:26 am

Snicka wrote:
Hadunka wrote:

Had'gar the Soulflayer? Very Happy
Had'gar the mud god, the soul player, the facefull one.
vajro
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top