Heritage of Zandalar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Troll rituals and ceremonies

+8
Vypra
Lyranne
Deras
Djinja
Zanick
Snicka
Barzovia
Ryleen
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Troll rituals and ceremonies Empty Troll rituals and ceremonies

Post  Ryleen Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:26 am

Ryleen was talking to a sin'dorei friend of hers, who showed her an expensive ring and told her about how her boyfriend had proposed to her.

This got me wondering, what are the troll's habits concerning partners, marriage and such things? Someone told me that they mate for life, once they found the one they love they never leave them again. Might just be a rumour, but I like the sound of it. And I bet there is some kind of ceremony once they've chosen that partner, even if it's probably different from the human's, right?

Oh, and this might just come in handy in a not too distant future, too.. Considering Gando&Ryleen and all.. ^_^
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Troll rituals and ceremonies Empty Re: Troll rituals and ceremonies

Post  Barzovia Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:39 pm

As your a part of the Zandalar 'tribe' I guess Yojamba is a most, Zanza's blessing would be really good, as he's the 'Loa from Zandalar'. Not sure about any special cermony, guess something abolishing Hakkar ?
Barzovia
Barzovia
Headhunter

https://www.youtube.com/user/keithmintage

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:21 pm

I think most trolls choose a lifetime partner just like humans do. If they're more loyal to their mate than humans, I don't know. Their marriage is blessed by their tribe's Loa, which is Zanza in the Zandalari's case, but the ritual's accurate details differ from tribe to tribe. Although I could easily imagine troll chieftains having multiple wives, I have noticed poligamy nowhere in the lore yet. On the other hand, according to Ashya, the priests of Hakkar don't have lifetime mates, but have children from their female slaves.
Actually we've tried to make a "troll wedding" with one of Snicka's former troll girlfriends, but we had to cancel it. It would have been led by Kemsha, as she was the High Priest that time, and it would have been quite a brutal ceremony, because it involved cutting each other's hand and drinking each other's blood. The ritual was finally cancelled when Snicka and the wo'mon broke up.
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

http://heritageofzuljin.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Troll rituals and ceremonies Empty Rings and things

Post  Zanick Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:28 pm

I seem to recall from somewhere that when trolls get married they wear a nose-ring. Or maybe that's just for the female troll. Perhaps the male troll gets a piercing somewhere else . . . I will try to find out where I read this.
Zanick
Zanick
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Where would the male trolls get their piercings? *is scared*
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:27 pm

As you probably already know, Ryleen and Gando will get married sometime not too far into the future. We've dsicussed how we want the ritual to work a little, and I'd love to hear your ideas.

So far we have three base parts of the ceremony; An symbolic exchange of gifts, vows to eachother and blessings from a higher power of choice.

The classic gift to exchange would be rings, but we haven't decided on that yet. It should probably be something you can wear, but has not real practical use except showing that you belong to eachother, so I guess it will most likely end up being jewelry of some sort.

As for vows and blessings, I've been googling "pagan wedding rituals", lots of useful stuff there and it could easily be modified to fit a troll wedding.

We will also need a nice place to have the ceremony and celebration in. Yojamba is nice, I guess, but the temple is small, and we have the regular excecutions and all that. Some pretty place, not to close to alliance settlements and preferably free of roaming mobs would be best. We'll go looking ic soon, but does anyone of you have any ideas? Or just general suggestions?
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Djinja Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:38 pm

Congratulations Ryleen.

I think Boulderslide Ravine in the Stonetalon mountains is a nice place, there are very few mobs in there and they will be low level.There is a hillock in the middle of the ravine suitable for the ceremony which would raise you and Gando up and into view, there is also a lovely cave with a fire for a more intimate atmosphere, perhaps 15 people could sit in there.

I think you could both wear bright wedding robes and have a shaman or priest officiate( to call upon the Loa,etc) and each have a best man and bridesmaid, exchange rings of course, but also offhand flowers.

Good luck to both of you Surprised)
Djinja
Djinja
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:03 pm

The ziggurats in front of Zul'Aman are very good places for rituals, they're large and very trollish, and there are no mobs, but on the other hand the place is often visited by the Alliance who raid the dungeon, and they'd likely stop there for a bit of ganking. I think Kemsha or Umagaur should lead the ritual, or if you want someone not in the Heritage, you can ask Kaali from the Ashen Order, she's a bit eccentric but experienced in leading ceremonies.
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:13 pm

What do trolls traditionally do to their dead? In tauren graveyards you can see that they seem to mummify their dead, but what do trolls do? Personally I feel that burning would be very fitting, but does anyone know?
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Barzovia Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 pm

Sometimes they place the bones in a pot-type thing.
Barzovia
Barzovia
Headhunter

https://www.youtube.com/user/keithmintage

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:49 pm

Ryleen wrote:What do trolls traditionally do to their dead? In tauren graveyards you can see that they seem to mummify their dead, but what do trolls do? Personally I feel that burning would be very fitting, but does anyone know?

I've heard about a Papuan tribe in New Guinea who, unlike most cannibalistic tribes who cannibalized their slain enemies, used to cannibalize their own dead. You showed your grief and respect towards the dead by eating a piece of him. It would probably fit some of the more savage troll tribes like the Witherbark, Vilebranch or Bloodscalp.
For the more civilized troll tribes like the Zandalar or the Darkspear... yes, it's probably burning. Also, let's not forget there are tombs in various troll cities, most notably Zul'Farrak. So at least the Sandfury trolls practice mummification.
Trolls' relationship with the dead is very much unlike that of humans, anyway, since their voodoo priests are able to summon their spirits and talk to them anytime.
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:30 am

Well, if you look in the tomb in Ghostlands thats filled with Troll dead, they are mumified ( quest is to burn them) so to me at least thats how the trolls would deal with the dead.

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyranne Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:04 pm

Also, Sunken Temple undead Trolls, and in fact any undead trolls are always seemingly mummified. I'm not sure about the burning of the corpses though, asif they seemingly preserve the remains, maybe cremation could be seen as desecration of the body. If they believe in a spirit/soul (which they seem to) maybe they encase the body to protect it, so that it is kept safe for the spiritual journey. But I could be wrong.
Lyranne
Lyranne
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:15 pm

From wowwiki:

"Troll death rituals used to involve ritual mutilation of the body. The trolls believed that simulating the sacrifice of a corpse distracted nearby malign spirits. The spirits, drawn to the pretend sacrifice, would fail to notice the new spirit entering their world. This allowed the deceased’s spirit to pass more easily into the next world and find a place for itself without harassment. Now trolls avoid these rituals because the Horde finds them disturbing and the rituals evoke unpleasant associations with the Scourge. Trolls frown on cremation, as they believe the body provides the spirit with a tie to the mortal world, and to destroy it sets a spirit adrift and confused for eternity. Recently the trolls have taken to cutting the eyes out of a corpse, thus opening a path into the skull where the spirit resides. Often a witch doctor sacrifices an animal nearby to distract any hungry spirits; if the mourners have no time for such a ritual, they may instead cut their arms and let their blood spill to achieve the necessary distraction. To avoid the possibility of undeath, trolls either bury their comrades’ bodies in hidden places or in sections (usually the body in one place and the head in another)."

Link to the article (voodoo): http://www.wowwiki.com/Voodoo
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Ooh, thanks Vypra, I'll have to go read that page later. But that's good, then it makes total sense what Ry did to Barz's body and head. ^_^
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:35 pm

Just a little snippet from the section on shamanism, as it relates to Trolls ( from: http://www.wowwiki.com/Shamanism_and_Nature_Worship )

"The jungle trolls are also experiencing an overhaul of their faith. Their savior, Thrall, convinced them to give up their evil ways of sacrifice and cannibalism to embrace the Horde’s divine worship, so the jungle trolls are finding new ways to praise their bloodthirsty ancestral spirits. They have turned from sacrificing their enemies to sacrificing animals, and they no longer feast on their enemies’ corpses—because that is what the undead do."

Just to highlight, that this aspect of Troll religion is currently being revised and the amount that the old ways are followed depends entirely on the individual. As the Heritage (and the villagers of Sen'jin) are in constant contact with other races of the Horde, it seems likely that (at least outwardly) we would support these new innovations.
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:41 pm

they no longer feast on their enemies’ corpses—because that is what the undead do.

Which does not mean that Snicka won't cook and eat his slain enemy... but he will do it in secret, because he knows how much it is disrespected by the other Horde races.
There's difference between troll and undead cannibalism anyway; while the latter would just devour the raw corpse, the former will boil or fry and put herbs on his foe.

But that's good, then it makes total sense what Ry did to Barz's body and head.

Yes, if the body is the spirit's link to the mortal world, then it's more than logical that Barzovia's body was burned, because Ryleen wanted to destroy his soul. Let's not forget that when troll witchdoctors communicate with the dead, they'll usually talk to their head - like in that Stranglethorn quest when you talk to Gan'zulah and Nezzliok. (Although, if you remember, when we summoned Snicka's grandfather, Umagaur's body was possessed by his spirit instead.)
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Deras Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 pm

This is going to sound silly, but what about on top of the Colossal in Feralas, its hard to find the way up,(need to speak to a Nelf) and its fairly safe because of this, excpet for the decent, that might cause a few..... injuries

Deras
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:18 pm

I have been wondering about ritual tattooing and peircing for trolls. It's a fairly common thing in tribal culture and i know many troll-players have tattoos in their discriptions (Vypra doesn't but that's because hers aren't usually visible Wink ) and the model (the female one at least) shows multliple peircings of the ears. Added to this, Ryleen mentioning something about a peircing to indicate marrige got me thinking about what kind of tattoos would be appropriate for the different tribal roles and would there be ceremonies for the recipients.

To go back to Vypra, she has the symbols of the elements tattooed down her spine. She recieved each one as she acheived mastery of each elemental call.

So'oro (probably unsurpisingly) has many snake tattoos.

Essentially, i'm wondering wether it would be likely that Chabat would begin getting tattoos as she develops and would there be interest in a bit of ceremony around them?
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:07 pm

I think that sounds really good. There is also a reason why Ry doesn't have any, since she broke all bonds with troll culture during her own training.
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:13 pm

http://www.metal-tiger.com/Wu_Tang_PCA/tattoo.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0618_040618_tvtattoo_2.html

just a couple of sites with info about tribal ritual tattoos.

Usually done to represent rites of passage( ie puberty/adulthood), marriage, tribal rank, and roles.
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Okay...this question comes from an incident last night at the Keel...

Vypra was invited to a birthday party an asked to invite a few of her freinds. When she mentioned it to Liontooth and Gellion, they had (IC'ly) no concept of what a birthday celebration was or why you would have one (it was very amusing trying to explain it Very Happy )

So, the question is, Do trolls celebrate birthdays? and which of the other races would be likely to?
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:33 pm

The first question to ask is if they keep track of exact dates or not. If not, they probably won't know what day they were born, only roughly at what time of the year.
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyranne Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 pm

I don't picture the forsaken taking much stock in Birthdays, as, well, they're undead. Sin'dorei live for centuries, so I can't see them seeing much relevence in a number, and trolls.. Hmm, maybe. They and orcs would most likely see something of merit in such a celebration, if not least because they have the shortest life expectancy. I could of course be wrong. I think seeing such relevence in a Birthday is a very human thing, and so wonder, if there is life out there in the real world, would they even pay much attention to such a trivial thing?
Lyranne
Lyranne
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:38 am

Well, as you said, both orcs and trolls are the ones that can expect to live the shortest. Especially if you consider their sometimes violent surroundings. How many of them are really privieleged to die of age? I can totally see them celebrating not as much getting older as surviving one more year.
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next