Heritage of Zandalar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A spring ritual in Antu'Rah

+3
Ryleen
Snicka
Vypra
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A spring ritual in Antu'Rah Empty A spring ritual in Antu'Rah

Post  Vypra Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:41 pm

I wanted to do a spring ritual in Antu'Rah (well, it's Vypra's idea Razz ) and i've been looking up a few ideas for how our meso-american culture sources might have done so.

The indigenous Mayan people in Central American have celebrated a spring equinox festival for ten centuries. As the sun sets on the day of the equinox on the great ceremonial pyramid, El Castillo, Mexico, its "western face...is bathed in the late afternoon sunlight. The lengthening shadows appear to run from the top of the pyramid's northern staircase to the bottom, giving the illusion of a diamond-backed snake in descent." This has been called "The Return of the Sun Serpent" since ancient times.

Sounds interesting eh?

also found this:
Before a ritual or ceremony began, there was a fast that would last before the actual ceremony took place. Usually, “The denial of food during fasting was ritually defined. Normally only one meal each day, without chile and salt.” (Berdan 2005:141) The night before the ceremonies began a vigil was held. Berdan describes the events as: “[consisting] of singing with musical accompaniment, dancing, and colorful processions. Offerings were a part of virtually ever ceremony, and ranged from incense and gifts (often food) to animals (usually quail) and human beings for sacrifice.” (Berdan 2005:141). From this short description, we can see that each ceremony had many parts. Each part was vital to the understanding of the ceremony as will be described later. Also, we see that offerings and sacrifices were very common. This indicates that there were special symbolisms within the sacrifices.

which gives us a nice sequence for the event (minus the -human- sacrifice of course...we are all good Hordies aren't we? Wink ).

Now, in the spring, most ancient festivals related to fertility of the people, that of the animals they hunted for food etc. and the land for the herbs and fruit it provided. Often, it also related to the rebirth of any gods who had been ritually sacrificed in the winter to tide their people over into the new year.

So, what do you all think. Is there any particular aspect you want to focus on for a spring ritual? Could we get several small events out this?

I had in mind, something like the thing mentioned about where we light a ritual fire atop the central altar in Antu' Rah for one event, then perhaps an evening of combat in the gurubashi arena where those who wish to can fight to show their strength and prowess to the Loa (and any potential mates of course Wink.
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

A spring ritual in Antu'Rah Empty Re: A spring ritual in Antu'Rah

Post  Snicka Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:30 am

I love the idea of a trollish spring ritual! Bonfire, dance, sacrifices, orgies...
Good luck with this.
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

http://heritageofzuljin.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:21 pm

It sounds like a lovely idea Smile Tell me if there's anything I can do to help.

Will this be just for the Heritage, or do we invite others as well?
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nabu Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:50 pm

Great idea! It will be one day for Heritage like Shatterspears' every. Too bad we can't add the sound of drums.
I hope it will look something like this:
http://www.assuranceguild.com/rioriel/images/postcard_shatterspeardrummers.jpg
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img411/1140/wowscrnshot062809173428.jpg
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img682/8844/wowscrnshot100809203804.jpg

Find me on last picture ;p
Nabu
Nabu
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zul'Ros Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:13 pm

The one in the centre, just because you can't make screenshots any other way Razz
Zul'Ros
Zul'Ros
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:20 pm

@ Ryleen - no, it can be for any trolls and other people we know and trust enough to join us in the Valley.

@ at 'Ros - heh, well, it does make for good screenies but it is in the centre for a reason you know. I believe the big, central ziggurat would have been the one where all the most important rites were conducted and this one probably counts as high up on the list Very Happy
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zul'Ros Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Err... wut? I was talking about Nabu on the last screenshot he posted Laughing
Zul'Ros
Zul'Ros
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:48 pm

lol, in that case, *peers at Nabu for an explanation* Wink
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:08 pm

I was thinking, maybe the preparations for the ritual and the beginning in Antu'Rah could be private, and we could then move on to a public part of the event where others are welcome? then we could add more different aspects to it, without the risk of boring clueless visitors.

Also, as a minor sidenote: Ry asked Taupod to be the children's godfather. He asked if there's a ritual of some sort to bind him to the children, and I think it'd be nice if there was, but I'm currently out of ideas. I also promised him a party, when the kids return home.
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sertah Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:10 am

Ryleen wrote:I was thinking, maybe the preparations for the ritual and the beginning in Antu'Rah could be private, and we could then move on to a public part of the event where others are welcome? then we could add more different aspects to it, without the risk of boring clueless visitors.

I think this is the best way to do things. The ritual itself can be private, open to only heritage and perhaps a few trusted trolls, and then afterwards we could have a spring feast!
Sertah
Sertah
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sertah Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 am

[quote="Sertah"]
Ryleen wrote:I was thinking, maybe the preparations for the ritual and the beginning in Antu'Rah could be private, and we could then move on to a public part of the event where others are welcome? then we could add more different aspects to it, without the risk of boring clueless visitors.

I think this is the best way to do things. The ritual itself can be private, open to only heritage and perhaps a few trusted trolls, and then afterwards we could have a spring feast!

..an evening of combat in the gurubashi arena where those who wish to can fight to show their strength and prowess to the Loa (and any potential mates of course .

This is a great idea, i know how fond a lot of people are of PvP, we could hold an Amphitheatre of Anguish style event and name a champion of the season! <Champion of the Spring> ^^
And of course, we could repeat this every season, maybe hold another one of these during the midsummer fire festival, harvest festival and winter's veil. Just how the Zandalari of Yojamba name their champions and present them with hero's badges when they are presented with the heart of Hakkar, The Heritage could name a revered champion for each season, but it wouldn't have to be one of us.
Sertah
Sertah
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Excellent! so, i'll get planning the ritual. Somebody needs to send out nvites...i think all those we invited to the elemental accord can count among those we trust to be part of this...with meybee a few other...up to you guys ofc Smile

And <champion of -season-> sounds great! Smile
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  torgadon Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:33 pm

Snicka wrote:I love the idea of a trollish spring ritual! Bonfire, dance, sacrifices, orgies...
Good luck with this.

my idea exactly Wink
torgadon
torgadon
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sertah Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 pm

A spring ritual in Antu'Rah Herita10
Sertah
Sertah
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:44 pm

cool poster Very Happy
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:10 pm

alrighty, here's a proposed breif for the ritual:

Friday evening, special dinner? Then we would fast until the following day.

Saturday, about 5pm (?) server: procession through Antu’Rah to the main temple (if people have any of those off hands that look like old fashioned burning torches to carry, that would look really awesome). Everybody should be wearing their finest robes/ costumes.

Four shaman and 1 priest(ess) would then ascend the steps and would make a special fire, then perform sacrifices (small animals/ our own blood/ food/ incense ) and ask for the blessing of the spirits & Loa to assure fertility of the land, animals and people for the coming year.

Then everybody dances/ drums/ chants (feel free to improvise! Very Happy ) and we have a big party (we can move this to Yojamba if more outsiders want to join us for this part).
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 pm

ok, as there's been no objections, i'll get some nice food together for the friday night dinner and sned out invites for the ritual.

When were we thinking of doing the tournament thingy? the sunday? or the following week sometime?
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sertah Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:10 am

I was thinking that a ritual a feast and a tournament is a lot to pack into one day, so i think it should be announced at the feast, and we can hold it later.
Sertah
Sertah
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:37 pm

I agree. we'll need more time for word to spread to all the potential combatants Very Happy
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Quick reminder: this is starting at 21.00 server This Evening! Smile

we will have summons available for people that are running late Razz
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:49 am

thanks to everybody that came along. for those that couldn't make it, here are some screenies! Smile

A spring ritual in Antu'Rah Batsattunementwowscrnsh

Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:53 am

I need a quick "who's who" on these pictures. I recognize Vypra and Ryleen from the purple braids and the blue mohawk, but who are the others?
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:55 am

well, Sertah is stood to the left of Ry (as we look at the last pic). Vaali is on Ryleen's other side. Carrying along the line, we have Kaz'jo, Ravajin, Hadunka and Nabujin
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 pm

If we are having this tournament thing, why isn't it advertised yet on WAL and on the official SSL forum?
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  torgadon Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:14 pm

ssl forums are never a good idea imo Wink
torgadon
torgadon
Headhunter

Back to top Go down