The New Order

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The New Order

Post  Sertah on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:40 am

The New Order

"Enough of this!" Sertah rose from her perch, looking driven and furious "There'd be less of this if they saw us as more of a power!" She clambered up to a higher branch where the bark was thinner, and took her carving knife from her headdress. "If i am to help them, lead them even, i have to fit them to form" Sertah scratched a long line in the wood, her eyes sharpen with concentration as she carves dexterously.

This is a thread to discuss an idea for a new ordering of the guild, which will help share responsibility and power both IC and OOC. It will give the guild a more military structure, one more suited to a tribe with it's own territory, and one whose reputation is on the line more than ever. Below is a diagram that explains the new rank system better than i ever could.

New Ideas
Kindred
Instead of being given the kindred rank when outsider's take the oath, they will be put into one of two groups depending on their character or the class of their character (E.g. Rogues, Hunters, Warriors = Defender Mages, Priests, Shamans = Obean)
Masters
The current (Active) masters, Chabat and Staargazer will have the titles of Chronicler and Medicine woman. The new will be titles, Loremaster (Which is self explanatory) Bloodlord, a military captain in charge of the veterans and kindred of the Defender persuasion and Hexlord, a military captain that takes charge over the Obean kindred.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please add them below and we'll talk about this as a guild!
Sertah
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The New Order

Post  Ryleen on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:42 am

You even made a pretty picture to explain it Smile It would seem to make sense for Sertah to make changes once she takes over, to further strengthen the view of Ryleen being out of the picture. Our current ranking system isn't working as intended and remaking it might be a good idea.
Ryleen
Headhunter

View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:15 am

I likes it Very Happy

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hadunka on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:23 pm

I like it Smile
sugest however that we give the rank Defender , Veteran and maby also obean a more troll tone in the name Smile
The names realy describe what they are .. and that's good. But Its not rely a title imo.

Sugest:
Defender = Man'Rah (if I remember corekt Rah was home. And I know "man" is "Guardian" in some language I don't remember witch now Razz )
Veteran = Prea'tor/Preator/Prediator/Preatorian (Ye I know a bit mixing with spelling)
Obeyan = well I like Obeyan ... cant think of any better atm
Hadunka
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:53 pm

The ranking system has gone through several revisions during the guild's history.

The separation of the fighter classes and the magical classes has returned from time to time, for a long time they actually had been separate ranks. It just became impractical because you can only make 10 different ranks, so it has become quite a mess. That was when we came up with the simple Outsider-Kindred-Veteran-Master ranking system.

Having five different masters might be a good idea when our numbers are big enough. But if there are only 15-20 active members, it means that (with the warlord and the primal), half of the guild will be various officers. It is not necessarily a problem, I am just warning.

About the names: I really like the sound of Bloodlord and Hexlord, there are actually troll NPC-s having that rank. Obean... shouldn't that be spelled "obeah"? (Obeah roughly means voodoo sorcerer).

Warlord

View user profile http://heritageofzuljin.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:11 pm

The issue of guild structure is a tricky one espcially for small guilds imo, but i'm all for giving this a try as i feel there are peope who derserve a little recognition and would like to contribute more, but their commitments to other guilds prevent them from going for the primal role.

The master role gives them a chance to be actively involved in creating rp in the heritage without getting too bogged down.

wish i had time to write more but time restriction on internet at work means it'll have to wait Razz

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  torgadon on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:18 pm

sounds great
torgadon
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sertah on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Just to be clear, there won't be 5 different ranks for each master, they will all be called masters, the different titles are just to split up the different responsibilities and RP creation abilities.

Snicka wrote:Obean... shouldn't that be spelled "obeah"? (Obeah roughly means voodoo sorcerer).
I might be wrong, but i was taught that Obeah was the noun for the magic itself, and Obean/Obeahan, (It isn't a word you'd find in the dictionary) could be the adjective for someone who practices it.

Defender = Man'Rah (if I remember corekt Rah was home. And I know "man" is "Guardian" in some language I don't remember witch now )
I believe that Antu' means guardian or overseer, because of Antu'Sul in Zul'Farrak. But having a rank called Antu' something sounds good to me ^^
Sertah
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hadunka on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 pm

Wy not just have the rank as Antu' ? or was that is what you meant? Razz

and as i understand it we will keep the ranks Warlord, primal, Master, Kindred, Outsider (and waht ever other thing ther is ... just have titles thrue Immersion or similar Smile
Hadunka
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:10 pm

and as i understand it we will keep the ranks Warlord, primal, Master, Kindred, Outsider (and waht ever other thing ther is ... just have titles thrue Immersion or similar Smile

Yes, i've got my title on my rp-addon description but even just having it on the Guild note would probably do as that's where we really need to know anyway.

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Hadunka wrote:Wy not just have the rank as Antu' ? or was that is what you meant? Razz

Yes! And the person with the rank, will earn the title in their name too. Suppose Ros become one, and we would call him Antu'Ros. We all know trolls change their names as they gain titles and nicknames, and I'd love for us to start actually doing it. Of course, not all of us have names that fit with troll naming customs, but it can always be explained as the naming being the 'orc version' of it, to be easier to pronounce in orcish. For example, Ry's real name is Ry'Een, where Ry is the name and 'een a nick of some sort. Gen'jin had times when he decided to start calling her Ry'jin, which makes a lot of sense Smile
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sertah on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:20 pm

Ryleen wrote:Suppose Ros become one, and we would call him Antu'Ros.

In that case, Obean might not be appropriate. Maybe instead we could have Zuf' or Zufli'
Sertah
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 am

Sertah wrote:

In that case, Obean might not be appropriate. Maybe instead we could have Zuf' or Zufli'

You mean Zul' or Zulfi', don't you? (Depending on the gender)

Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:00 am

Snicka wrote:
Sertah wrote:

Is'nt zul' a little too powerful to be a common rank? Also, it's zufli, not zulfi. Probably since it's easier to say. Smile
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:50 am

((also, Snicka, I need to talk to you about Camelot. It's time to send in application again. Contact me on msn some day! ))
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Ryleen wrote:
Snicka wrote:
Sertah wrote:

Is'nt zul' a little too powerful to be a common rank? Also, it's zufli, not zulfi. Probably since it's easier to say. Smile

Yeah, Zul' is very powerful. Probably only the ones with the Master rank (the Hexlord, the Medicine Woman, etc.) should use it.

Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Zul'Ros on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 pm

It's decided then! I'll be the new Hexlord! Smile
On a serious note, the name suffixes seem pretty much devalued anyway, with all those 'jins we have. And, well, me. Very Happy
Zul'Ros
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Just because other people doesn't follow lore doesn't mean we should do the same. Smile
Ryleen
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  torgadon on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Rawr'jin?
torgadon
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor Rava on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Zul'Ros wrote:It's decided then! I'll be the new Hexlord! Smile
On a serious note, the name suffixes seem pretty much devalued anyway, with all those 'jins we have. And, well, me. Very Happy
The way I explain that in Rava's situation is that it's simply part of the meaning of his name, 'raptor pack leader' or 'alpha raptor', rather than a title. As such, it should be spelt without the apostrophe, Ravajin, not Rava'jin (although I sometimes forget *blush*)

Doctor Rava
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sertah on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Snicka wrote:
Sertah wrote:

Zufli means 'little witch' in Zandali
Sertah
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hadunka on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:57 am

Ryleen wrote:((also, Snicka, I need to talk to you about Camelot. It's time to send in application again. Contact me on msn some day! ))
((Ye I hope to see you there Snika ... I am already registered and once agen will be ferrying 6ich (not set yet) yunglings from my aria.))
Hadunka
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 am

Hadunka wrote:
Ryleen wrote:((also, Snicka, I need to talk to you about Camelot. It's time to send in application again. Contact me on msn some day! ))
((Ye I hope to see you there Snika ... I am already registered and once agen will be ferrying 6ich (not set yet) yunglings from my aria.))

((Well, guys, while I would love to meet you there, I will possibly not attend this spring. As I explained to Ry already, I'll have to finish my dissertation by the middle of April, and such a big trip and camp would most likely distract me from doing it. So, unless I change my mind, I will see you only at next Halloween - unless, of course, if there is some cool summer camp we can attend!))

Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hadunka on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:25 pm

((aww .. well good luck .. and lets hope you feel secure enough to attend any way Wink ))
Hadunka
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyranne on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 am

This thread's not quite as I envisioned it, seeing as Camelot gets a fair outing Razz

Anyway, The idea of genuine tiering seems sound, and aside from the militaristic aspect, I've no qualms (Lyranne did after all join as an emissary, not a fighter, though the makeup of the guild has changed so much in those two years it seems improbable to newer members). I do however feel that the guild itself has been slowly shifting more and more to an RP-PvP guild, which is fine for many, but not for all. If this change is to happen, perhaps an offical announcement of such would help, perhaps even act as an enticing point of interest for other RPers (better that people join knowing that there could well be either world PvP events or even Heritage BG excursions (which would actually be a lot of fun)* and so are prepared for what life in the guild involves.

I seem to recall reading in the first post about suggestions for who whould have what role. Alas, one wonders if there are enough to truly do this justice (with the guild still being small, half of us will have a 'proper' rank compared to just being a veteran). This could of course be me worrying needlessly about the true effectiveness of the ranking (and I am aware of the reiteration of what has been said). But provided people who have the roles want them and have a clear idea of what's to be expected, I'm sure it'll help in the long term. We don't want another Emissary situation of a role that never truly got to be much save an outsider with no promotional prospects. So long as there's an outline, it's easy to play the part, but when you've no long-term goal, it becomes very difficult to remain creative.

As an example, when Lyranne was Emissary, she was supposed to be a representative of th sin'dorei. Alas, there weren't that many belf guilds around back then (like none, when she joined the heritage) so I didn't have any easy route in sparking this up. I did communicate with Sang Real though, and more often than not was used more as a messenger because of how many people she knew (going to tell the GwT that though our tribe had adoped a new name, we were still allies and would remain so, for example). I'm sure this won't happen, and hopefully in addition to conventional tribe meetings, the masters could also have the occasional meeting to aid in directing focus within the guild, or requesting assistance, etc.

Again though, as I always say; I could just be overthinking things Razz

* = Note that the use of parenthesis within parenthesis is not something that should be tried unsupervised or unprotected. I did this from the safety of a Classs 9 bunker and that's the bare minimum protection required. I still managed to end up with one flying into my eye whilst shouting "wait, what? This makes no seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeense". You have been warned.
Lyranne
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top