Brother Rooke

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brother Rooke

Post  Brother Rooke on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:27 am

(( Posting this retroactively:

Character name: Rooke

Character class: Priest

Character level: 76

Professions: Tailoring and herbalism ((completely OOC though, these are Davos' old professions but they're far too useful to get rid of. Smile ))

Why do you want to join us?: Rooke decided to attend a Heritage of Zandalar dinner in order to try and understand the troll half of his heritage, and ended up - against his upbringing and judgement - joining the guild for the companionship and potential for learning it offered. Having grown used to hostility and ostracization, the promise of a "family" weakened him and proved too much to resist (something he's now self-flaggelating for, but he'll keep his word). ((Well, the RP just rather led to it...but also because you're a lasting RP guild with a good backstory and some cool people among you, not to mention an enviable lack of drama from what I've seen.))

How often do you play WoW?: Aaall the bloody time, however I have a lot of alts so my activity will always be in fits and starts.

Roleplaying experience: About...four or five years in Ashen Order (if you count the time before it was the Ashen Order), no experience of tabletop or live roleplay though. I've been a councillor there three times (that's how long it takes me to learn I'm not cut out for something Razz).

Character history: Rooke was conceived when the troll Crowley raped a human woman. The trauma and the subsequent pregnancy and birth nearly killed her, and when the half-breed child was born she only wished for it to be killed. Her own mother was both kinder and more callous than that, though, and forbade it, instead taking the child to live with her. Her mother was a Light-fearing, devout woman who had never really recovered from her husband's death in the first war. She kept Rooke in the cellar and shared the secret only with the local pastor, who reluctantly agreed to help her bring up the child in the ways of the Light. His tutelage took an astonishing turn when the priest found him to have a natural affinity for the Light.

By the time Rooke was in his teens, the old woman was succumbing to senility. Some days she would call him by the name of her dead husband, others she would forget to feed him. Another of Rooke's innate gifts manifested when this happened...the ability to merge with the shadows and sneak out of the cellar himself to hunt food for himself. When his grandmother died, Rooke left the cellar for good, living on the town outskirts, moving and hunting by night. Soon he was spotted and despite the priest's attempts to calm the situation, the townsfolk knew they had something unpleasant in their midst. He barely escaped with his life, and was even luckier to be found by Horde forces. He was taken to Orgrimmar and put in the orphanage there as one of the oldest wards the place has taken on, where he was noticed by Davos Grymm, who continued his teaching in the ways of the Light.

At fifteen, he left the orphanage and set to work as a self-styled Vindicator of the Light, bringing his own furious conception of the Light's justice to the more lawless parts of the three continents with a burning ruthlessness and uncompromising zeal completely at odds with his age.
Brother Rooke
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brother Rooke

Post  Ryleen on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:06 am

This looks like a very interesting character. I look forward to more rp with him Smile
Ryleen
Headhunter

View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:05 am

So... to sum up, it is a half-human-half-troll (which means trolls and humans can have offspring), devoted to the Holy Light?
I feel that's slightly lore-bending (although not as much as Med'an, who's an (un)original Blizzard character), but if played cleverly, he must be an interesting character.

Warlord

View user profile http://heritageofzuljin.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:49 pm

I agree that the character might be right on the edge of what you can get away with and still fit within lore... But it was so much fun rping with him when we met at the dinner, so I can't say I mind Smile
Ryleen
Headhunter

View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brother Rooke on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks Ryleen ^^ And while I can understand cynicism here Snicka, there's no reason it bends the lore. Hybrids are a well-established (if not universally well-regarded) part of Warcraft and following the Light is just his upbringing. The only reason to avoid a character like this is not wanting to be tainted by association, something I'm determined not to let influence me.
Brother Rooke
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Chill out, Rooke. Smile After all, here's another half-breed talking, the offspring of two troll tribes that live hundreds of miles away from each other. Wink
Moving on the edge of what Lore allows is always fun. And I have to admit, Ashen Order is topping that, with five-fingered arctic trolls, light-worshipping Forsaken, and loa-blessed undead dinkies. Wink Yes, the people behind these characters are all brilliant ones, proving that a "lore-bender" is not necessarily a bad roleplayer.

Warlord

View user profile http://heritageofzuljin.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Actually, as there are half elven/ half humans documented, and we all know that the elves evolved from us trolls anyway ( Twisted Evil ) i don't see why this shouldn't work. Also, Ryleen is a good example of a potentially lore breaking background (A TROLL, studying MAGIC...in SILVERMOON?!!! Wink ) that has actually worked out quite well.

And i'm more than willing to bet if anybody can pull it off it will be our newest recruit Very Happy

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brother Rooke on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Sorry if I seemed standoffish there Snicka, I'm quite bad at not seeming that way recently for some reason, even if I'm really not intending to be like that. Wink A bit of cynicism here's perfectly reasonable. And yeah, we're undeniably cavalier about the lore in Ashen Order, raised eyebrows are expected but thankfully the other guilds are usually cool about it and everyone ends up happier.
Brother Rooke
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top