Shadra'Alor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shadra'Alor

Post  Ryleen on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:00 am

Ryleen walked through the forest of the Hinterlands. There was no moon and the shade under the trees was almost impenetrable. With a small gesture a number of small lights sprung to life, swirling around her like little fireflies. It would attract attention, of course, but she was still far from her destination and there should be little but the occassional wolf nearby.

The mossy path was soft and cool under her feet and she felt strangely at peace. She lay her hand against the standing stone that marked the crossing where she should turn. The moss was damp from the rain earlier during the day and it startled her back from her wandering thoughts. She needed to be more alert now, she would not be welcome here. She decided not to turn out her lights. She would not be able to sneak her way into the temple grounds, so she may as well let them know she was coming.

She was nearly through the gate when she a scream broke the silent night. The two guards had remained hidden, but now both leaped at her with weapons in hand. Seeing a lonely, unarmed woman made them confident. It should have made them wonder what was going on. She hissed the spell, multicoloured flames bursting forth from her finger and hurling themselves at the guards. They hadn't expected any resistance and found themselves helpless against her spell. Screams still echoed through the dark temple grounds, but they were of a different nature now. She didn't watch them die, but walked on.

An encouraging word to her little lights, and they all flared up and started to swirl faster around her, forming a very visible defensive shield. The first one to test it was one of the giant spiders. It jumped out of a tree onto her, but slid harmlessly off her shield, it's legg sizzling where they got burnt. With an almost negligent gesture and muttered spell, the writhing spider's body burst open and started to burn.

It all came back so easily to her. The power running through her body.. the fire.. It made her feel so alive. More alive than she had in a very long time. The forest trolls had caught on now, and a number of them came at her with weapons in hand, not nearly as recklessly as the first two. She almost laughed at how easily she disposed of them. It wasn't even challenging... A wide gesture and she made the very air around her crackle with energy. The remaining trolls fell screaming to the ground, their skin badly burnt by the arcane explosion. She stopped, taking the time to finish them all off.

Part of her knew this was horrifying.. That she should be running away from it, that she should grieve the dead. But the magic said differently, as always. It told her to enjoy it, to make the very best of it and even to try to do even more. It made her hope they would launch an even bigger attack to drive her off. She would feel ashamed of herself later, for allowing herself to act like this. But not now. Now, she was far too caught up in the torrent of arcane force running through her to care.

Eventually she made her way to the big altar overlooking the pond. The trolls were staying away now. She couldn't see any, but she felt their eyes on her. Good. They had learned quickly. That meant she could do this alone. She knelt by the altar and picked an object wrapped in a piece of silk from her bag. Once unwrapped, she placed a fistsized engineered device on the altar. At the push of a button, it unfolded. It was an object of beauty, made of of thin, delicate parts and carefully fitted cogs. There where little crystals fitted into it, which twirled slowly and reflected the light of her shield. It was marvellous. She gazed at it in silence for a long moment. Then she spoke in Zandali.

"I ask for forgiveness.. That this gift be a symbol of my plea. I ask for guidance, to better see the path you have laid out in front of me."

She held out her hand, palm down, over the machine, and the delicate wooden parts started to smolder.

"I understand that I have been acting wrong, and I regret it. I regret the punishments you have brought me, but I accept. I just ask that the path I should walk is revealed to me, that I will know what is asked of me when the time comes. That I may make the right decisions and not have to lose more than I already have."

The machine burst into flames. Her face hardened as she concentrated. Very soon, the heat of the dancing flames was enough to melt the metal parts of the machine into little puddles. She didn't stop until there was nothing left that could reveal what it had once been. Then she stared at the remains for some time, only to suddenly laugh.

It was so obvious! She understood it now.. Why hadn't she seen it before. She turned around and looked back at where she came from. The dark shapes of the corpses was just barely visible from here. The great Shadra.. The creator, and the destroyer... Perhaps things weren't so strange, after all. She felt just as much as laughing as crying. Now she understood some of her own fear as well. She didn't want to be this. She didn't want to accept it. But... It was a part of her, and the loa had seen it. If only she had noticed sooner... This would require a lot of thinking through.

With a dismissive gesture she turned out the lights that made her shield and stepped down from the altar. A whispered spell and a flash of light later, and she was gone.
Ryleen
Headhunter

View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Shadra'Alor

Post  Vypra on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 am

((Excellent Ryleen Smile very well written and (ofc) i'm glad it worked out Wink ))

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:40 pm

She sat alone on the balcony of the Ledgermain Lodge in the grey light before dawn. The air was chilly but she sat wrapped in her soft wool cloak. In her hands was a cup of sweet tea and she looked up at the gradually brightening sky as she listened to the sounds of the awakening city.

She thought back at her visit to the temple of Shadra last night. She hadn't acted like herself. Not once had she stopped to consider her actions, to secondguess wether it was the correct course of action. She always did that, but not last night. Everything had been exactly right, exactly the way it should be. From the carefully planned sacrifice to the slaughter of the forest trolls who tried to stop her. She should be horrified at what she had done, but she wasn't.

The sacrifice had been neccessary, as had the path needed to get there. She knew she had acted wrong, but only now did she understand exactly how. With her eyes following a stray tuft of cloud across the sky she spoke softly in zandali, knowing that there was no one nearby to listen.

"I'm sorry... I understand now. You have known my fear all along, but only now do I understand why you frighten me so. It wasn't because of what you took from me, it was because of what you are... What I am.

I wanted to think it was really strange that you'd pick me, that it made no sense at all. But I suppose part of me always knew that it did. I think I am more like what they say you are than I would want to admit. I try very hard to be only half of it.

But I'm not supposed to, am I?"

She took another sip of her still steaming tea, contemplating what she'd just said for a while.

"But was all this really just meant to make me admit this to myself? Or are you preparing me for something? I wish you would tell me..."

She chuckled silently as she realised that she must seem to be talking to herself if someone would pass by. Perhaps she was, she was in no way certain that the one she talked to was listening. The first rays of sunlight came above the rooftops and she could feel their warmth on her face as they nearly blinded her. She felt good, relaxed and at peace. She had done something right at last, and perhaps this moment of peace was it's reward.

But there were other things to attend to now. When she had arrived the last evening she had hoped to find her sister, to talk through what had happened with her. But she got told that she wasn't there, and hadn't been for quite some time now. While being under the curse, she had hardly noticed what people she had met and not, it was only now she had realised that she hadn't seen her sister in a long time. Where could she be?
Ryleen
Headhunter

View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top