Ros of the Darkspears

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ros of the Darkspears

Post  Zul'Ros on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:56 am

It's been a week since Ros moved to Stranglethorn Valley. Well, "moved" might not be the right word for it: he just grabbed his backpack after the guild meeting and took a zeppelin to Grom'Gol. Ever since then he had been living in the jungle, hunting raptors for food and spending days and nights meditating in a desperate attempt to get a vision.

"What's the point in being a hexer if i can't even help my own friends?"

That's what he told Chabat back then. But he wasn't completely honest with himself. His speciality wasn't the real reason. He knew both protective and restorative chants and could maintain the trance for hours... They just weren't strong enough. None of his spells were, and that was because he still hadn't received the blessing of the Loa. Back in his childhood, Ros was a promising pupil that had everything it takes to become a Voodoo master. And ever since that time he hadn't received a vision, not even a single dream he could remember. When it became clear that he wasn't able to undergo the ritual, people started to give him suspicious looks. Whatever friends he had grew more and more distant with each passing day, so Ros had to turn to reading books instead. He was still quite useful in some ways though, and Gadrin kept him as an apprentice. But as a shaman he was a complete failure, or at least that's what he recently came to realize.

But everything comes to an end sooner or later. So did Ros' patience.

"If they don't want to talk to me, I will make them listen!"

The brew didn't look as disgusting as one might've thought. Purple Lotus found by ancient troll ruins, Ghost Mushrooms from the faraway Hinterlands, the land of forest trolls, Firebloom from the deadly Tanaris desert... Bloodthistle, Shimmerweed any herb Ros thought could affect his mind was used in the potion.

"If this won't make me see a damn vision, then I don't know what will..."

Ros took a deep breath, closed his eyes and drank off the whole vial.

For a moment the world stood still. The colours had faded in an instant, the sounds of the jungle went down and disappeared completely. And then the world suddenly shattered. Everything was gone, and Ros was surrounded by thick darkness. Little by little he was able to distinguish dim lights far in the distance. There were myriads of them countless spirits, all calling out to him...

Ros opened his eyes. He was lying on a cold flat rock, right above the coast of Stranglethorn. What he first thought was a gathering of spirits appeared to be the nightsky full of stars, the sound was made by tidal waves crashing against the shore. Ros began to slowly regain control over his body. Several hours had passed since he lost consciousness, or maybe several days he had no idea. The empty vial was still firmly cramped in his hand.

Ros tried to stand up a few times, then fell back in exhaustion. He was smiling. After all, it wasn't a complete failure: Ros was sure that, if even for a split second, he was able to see a different plane of existance. A world of spirits that he was never allowed to see before.

Last edited by Zul'Ros on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Zul'Ros
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ros of the Darkspears

Post  Ryleen on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:11 am

I really like this story Smile It's a nice piece of character developement.
Ryleen
Headhunter

View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:36 pm

that was great. a lovely little peice of writing Smile

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shadowtroll on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:58 pm

Best described trip I've ever read, really lovely done was pure joy to read it Smile
shadowtroll
Headhunter

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82K_C4Rnctc

Back to top Go down

Post  Zul'Ros on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:07 am

Death...
What does it mean to be dead?
What is it that makes us feel alive?
Can we still be considered alive if our memories live on?
Which is true immortality, that of the body or of the soul?

Questions, questions, questions... They were circling around like jungle mosquitoes. Ros didn't know the answers nor did he want to. They were annoying. They were distracting him from the main goal. Where could they possibly come from, anyway?..

Ros left his hut and headed for the outskirts of the valley. There were trolls everywhere around him, hundreds of unfamiliar faces. It was difficult to move through the crowd. Occasionally Ros would stab one or another with a dagger. None of them ever made a sound, just dropping dead where they were standing. Others only stared blankly at the corpses momentarily dissolving, leaving only a pile of white bones behind. Only the blood-red sun rising in the west was reflecting in their empty eyes.

Why are you doing this?
Do you have the right to decide who lives and who dies?
What is your purpose?
Who are you?

It was cold. Freezing cold. Though the sun hadn't moved a slightest bit Ros could swear that it took him years to get to the waterfall. How many did he kill? Maybe a hundred. Maybe a thousand. He just somehow knew he had to do it. That there was a higher purpose behind all this. And yet he knew nothing. Not about this place, not about himself.

There was a young troll girl sitting on the edge of the pool, facing the fountain. Ros knew she was what he had come for the moment he saw her. He slowly approached her from behind. The girl didn't seem to notice him, nor anything around her. Ros raised his dagger and drove it through her back with one swift motion, aiming for the heart. The girl slowly turned her face towards him.

Ros backed off instantly. It was her he could see it clearly now. Her eyes were hidden behind a pair of engineering goggles, something he had never seen before. She didn't say a word, didn't move a muscle. She was just sitting there, staring at him, until the blood started flowing from under the goggles. As the first drops reached the ground the world vanished. Only darkness remained.

As the vague outlines began to appear around, Ros realized that he was still in his hut. He raised himself on his elbows and looked around. The entire floor was covered in some brightly glowing green liquid. Ros looked at his hands: the same liquid was dripping off them. His hands... and the fangs of a snake-fashioned shield across the room. No doubt, it was Zen'Zil's mojo.

Ros happened to relive the spirit's memories occasionally after sharing body with him, but he was always aware of it. Never before were the visions so clear, mixing in with his sense of reality. Ros glared angrily at the shield. The snake was imperturbable, as if waiting to catch its prey off guard again. He needed this power to protect his family. This power... and this poison.

"This can't go on forever like this. I have to think of something, the sooner the better. Maybe that totem I got from Kaz the other day... Somehow..."

Far too late had Ros realized this was the first real dream he had in his entire life. Too bad it turned out to be his first nightmare as well.
Zul'Ros
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:19 am

chilling Smile

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaz'jo on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:54 am

So that's where the totem ended up to be... couldn't recall that. Razz
Interesting story. A bit evil. Me likes.
Kaz'jo
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum