Trolls in the Horde Army

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trolls in the Horde Army

Post  Zanick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:33 pm

- Foreword -

At the age of thirteen winters or so, when the Kul'Tiras navy attacked the Echo Isles and the coast of Durotar, I was evacuated to Orgrimmar along with many other trolls. Whilst in the city I learned for the first time of the troll roof stalkers that patrol the rooftops and turrets. Years later, when I began my training as a scout, I dreamed that one day I would become one of those elite guards. The trolls who guided my training, Shenthul and Zando'zan, were happy to teach me the arts of stealth, but those in charge of the defence of Orgrimmar would not accept a wo'mon as a roof stalker.

Finding no way to overcome this sort of discrimination within the Horde army, I chose the life of an adventurer instead. But ever since I left Durotar to explore the world I have taken a keen interest in the roles that trolls perform and the ranks that they have risen to within the Horde military.

Here are the collected notes that I have made on this subject.

- Zanick -
Steward of the Heritage of Zandalar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TROLLS IN THE HORDE ARMY

INTRODUCTION

When he accepted Warchief Thrall's offer to join the Horde, our Chief, Vol'jin, pledged to aid them with the full fighting force of the Darkspear Tribe. Although a few trolls from other tribes have joined the Horde's ranks, along with trolls that have grown up as exiles from their own kind, almost all trolls within the Horde are from the Darkspear Tribe.

Our single tribe of jungle trolls is heavily outnumbered by the many orc clans and tauren tribes within the Horde. So it is not surprising that there are so few trolls in Horde military units compared to our many orc and tauren comrades. However, despite our low numbers, we trolls make a significant contribution to the strength and effectiveness of the Horde war machine.

Just like the other Horde races, trolls troops can be either regular soldiers (the permanent force of the Horde's army that is maintained under arms) or irregulars (volunteers or temporary levies formed for a specific mission or duty). Troll soldiers can be found amongst many of the regular military units of the Horde army. Trolls in regular service also act as guards of troll-controlled Horde outposts. Irregular troll troops may be found even more widely, aiding the Horde in a variety of ways.

Last edited by Zanick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zanick
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trolls in the Horde Army

Post  Zanick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:36 pm

REGULAR TROLL TROOPS IN KALIMDOR

Troll Settlements
Troll troops are naturally chosen by the Tribe to defend Darkspear villages. At Sen'jin Village in south-east Durotar the troops are called Watchers and at Shadowprey Village on the coast of Desolace they are called Guards. However, the hunting camp of Malaka'jin in the Stonetalon Mountains has no permanent troops to defend it.

Horde Outposts

ASHENVALE: Trolls form part of the Horde contingent at Splintertree Post in the heart of the forest. Kuray'bin, a master scout, helps to coordinate the defence of the outpost. Framnali is one of the Splintertree guards. She is usually on duty atop the western watchtower.

Trolls are also to be found amongst the Horde force at the fishing village of Zoram'gar Outpost on the west coast of Ashenvale. Here, Marukai ensures that the village is kept safe from attacks by the naga that infest the Zoram Strand. She is aided by another troll, Mitsuwa. Also at Zoram'gar is Je'neu Sancrea, a troll shaman. He is not part of the Horde army, but a member of the Earthen Ring*. He uses his knowledge and powers to help keep the outpost safe.

* The Earthen Ring is a group of shamans of several races dedicated to studying and preserving the elements. Its main goal is to maintain the balance between the world and the elementals that dwell upon it.

Orgrimmar
Troll troops that prove themselves to be exceptionally stealthy and vigilant may be chosen to join the elite unit of Troll Roof Stalkers that guard the turrets and rooftops of Orgrimmar. This group was formed in the earliest days of the building of the city, when Darkspear society was more male-dominated than it is today. But even now the tradition remains and only male trolls have so far been selected to become roof stalkers.

Blood Guard Hini'wana is the highest ranked regular troll soldier in Orgrimmar. He is usually to be found in the Hall of Legends where he coordinates troop activities with his counterparts from the other Horde races.

Also in the Hall of Legends are two troll armour quartermasters: First Sergeant Hola'mahi, who provides armour to any Horde troops who have proved their worth to her satisfaction, and Blood Guard Zar'shi who will reward the more experienced troops with better armour once they have shown him that they deserve it.

In the Valley of Wisdom in Orgrimmar, a troll soldier, Officer Vu'shalay, organises the gathering and distribution of supplies and equipment. He keeps a record of those irregular troops or adventurers who support the Darkspear's war effort by donating supplies.
Zanick
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:38 pm

REGULAR TROLL TROOPS IN THE EASTERN KINGDOMS

Horde Outposts

STRANGLETHORN VALE: Two Darkspear trolls are a part of the Horde contingent at Grom'gol Base Camp on the west coast of Stranglethorn Vale. Vol'jin's envoy, Nimboya, enlists adventurers to help him defeat the Darkspear's enemies in the Vale and beyond. Kin'weelay, said by some to be the most powerful witchdoctor of the Darkspear trolls, helps the Horde to battle the jungle troll tribes that attack them, as well as the Hakkari and Atal'ai minions of the cursed Blood God.

THE BADLANDS: Further north, trolls are part of the Kargath Expeditionary Force, which is a military exploration group based at the outpost of Kargath in the Badlands of Khaz Modan. The force is commanded by the orc Warlord Goretooth. On the orders of Thrall himself, platoons from the Kargath Expeditionary Force have made excursions into the arid landscape, going as far as venturing into the excavations of Uldaman and into the Searing Gorge and the Burning Steppes to the west.

Currently, Thal'trak Proudtusk, a Darkspear shaman, leads the regular patrols around Kargath. Another troll, Razal'blade, is amongst the troops on his patrol. Although not a part of the Force himself, a troll alchemist, Jarkal Mossmeld, helps to provide for some of the needs of the troops at the outpost.

ARATHI HIGHLANDS: Zengu, a seasoned Darkspear hunter, is stationed at the Horde outpost of Hammerfall in the north-eastern Arathi Highlands from where he oversees tasks for Vol'jin. He is assisted by a troll shaman named Tor'gan, who also uses his skills to aid the orcs based at the outpost.
Zanick
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:42 pm

REGULAR TROLL TROOPS IN NORTHREND

When the Horde Expedition recently travelled to Northrend, the ranks of the Warsong Offensive, the Horde's main army led by Overlord Garrosh Hellscream, included many Darkspear trolls.

BOREAN TUNDRA: In the south-west of Northrend, Warsong Hold is the base for several trolls who are grand masters in their professions. Geba'li trains jewel-crafters to master the most advanced techniques, Ser'ji instructs his pupils in expert fishing skills and Raenah teaches superior tailoring skills to her students.

Many trolls are to be found amongst the ranks of the Marksmen that protect Warsong Hold from the frequent attacks by the Scourge and the insectoid Nerubians. One of these is a troll named Sagai.

Trolls also provide the Warsong Offensive with most of the reagents and poisons that are needed. At Warsong Hold it is a troll named Zend'li Venomtusk who fulfils this task. Trolls have also proven themselves adept at handling the flying mounts that allow fast travel across the frozen land. At Warsong Hold, Wind Master To'bor atop the fortress looks after the windriders used by troops defending the stronghold.

Further north, at Bor'gorok Outpost, Supply Master Taz'ishi provides all of the poisons and reagents required by the troops. Here, a troll wo'mon named Kimbiza is the Windrider Master.

DRAGONBLIGHT: Not many trolls are stationed in the region known as Dragonblight. At the Horde outpost of Agmar's Hammer, there is only one. Here, a troll named Zebu'tan supplies the herbs and poisons needed by the troops. To the west, one of the Horde troops guarding the taun'ka at the Westwind Refugee Camp is a high-ranking troll called Blood Guard Tor'zin.

Further north, however, at a windswept place called Dragon's Fall, you may find a troll who may rightly be considered a true hero of the Horde - Rokhan, one of the finest Shadowhunters of the Darkspear Tribe and Thrall's finest scout. At this tiny outpost he is aided by a troll named Kontokanis and a small team of Darkspear Dragon Hunters who battle the great skeletal wyrms that patrol the area.

GRIZZLY HILLS: At the Horde outpost of Conquest Hold several troll traders have joined the Warsong Offensive. Sani'i trades in all manner of useful goods, whereas Hidetrader Jun'ik deals only in hides, skins and he sells leather goods. A troll named Vel'jen may have other duties, but he seems occupied only in keeping up morale amongst the troops by helping to organise the pit-fights on which the soldiers place bets.

STORM PEAKS: A couple of notable trolls were aboard the airship Grom'arsh that ventured into the forbidding Storm Peaks. Marksman Udabu, a renowned gunsmith, is now to be found at the site where this ill-fated vessel came down. Also based at this camp is Tracker Val'zij, an experienced Darkspear hunter, although he is often out on patrol exploring the region.

WINTERGRASP: Amongst the Horde forces that do battle for control of the old titan fortress in Wintergrasp there is one troll officer. Hoodoo Master Fu'jin uses his powers to help the Horde troops to bring down the walls when the Alliance is defending the fortress.

ICECROWN: At the heart of Northrend, closest to our enemy's stronghold, the compliment of troops aboard the Horde zeppelin 'Orgrim's Hammer' includes many trolls. A team of troll shamans called Shadow-Warders guard the ship from attack. There is at least one troll wo'mon amongst the crew that keep the vessel aloft and another, Utamu, is in charge of the provisions. Amongst the elite troops that protect the airship, one of the Kor'kron Reavers is also a troll.

Last edited by Zanick on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Sagai and Blood Guard Tor'zin.)
Zanick
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:44 pm

REGULAR TROLL TROOPS IN THE OUTLAND

The Horde army that fights the Burning Legion and the forces of Illidan in the Outland relies on many troll troops.

HELLFIRE PENINSULA: The highest ranking troll in the Outland is Shadow Hunter Ty'jin. He is based in Thrallmar from where he sends out scouts to obtain information about the enemy. He is said to report directly to Warchief Thrall. Amongst the troops in Thrallmar are many female troll Marksmen and a sizeable proportion of the Thrallmar Grunts are male trolls.

Troll troops are also found in more advanced positions. One of these, Forward Commander To'arch, is the soldier in command of a small Horde outpost east of Thrallmar.

ZANGARMARSH: When the Horde army expanded throughout the Outland the Darkspear trolls were given the responsibility of taking control of the Zangarmarsh under the command of a powerful Darkspear shaman, Shadow Hunter Denjai. The larger of the two military outposts, the village of Zabra'jin in the west of the region, is the main base for the Darkspear forces. It is defended by a platoon of elite Zabra'jin Guards. The other settlement held by the Darkspears is Swamprat Post in the east, which is defended by a smaller group of elite Swamprat Guards.

BLADE'S EDGE MOUNTAINS: Two Darkspear trolls are to be found helping the orcs at the Horde settlement of Thunderlord Stronghold. Raiza is a dealer in thrown weapons and he also supplies the ammunition needed by the orc troops. The other is a Darkspear witch doctor by the name of Daga Ramba. He brews the potions needed by the troops and by travellers alike.

SHADOWMOON VALLEY: Very few trolls are amongst the ranks of the Horde units that have set up camp in the valley that leads to the Black Temple. The only one of note is Warcaller Sardon Truslice. He is based at Shadowmoon Village from where he recruits adventurers to take on difficult missions in support of the regular troops.

Last edited by Zanick on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:22 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added trolls at Thunderlord Stronghold.)
Zanick
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:44 pm

< RESERVED >
Zanick
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:45 pm

< RESERVED >
Zanick
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:55 pm

I've been working on these notes for a long time and I still have more to do. I know that there are still many gaps, but I'll post them now so I can get some input from the rest of the guild. As I discover more trolls in the Horde military I will edit the posts above, so that hopefully they will become a complete account of all of the troll soldiers that appear in the game.

If you know of any troll troops that I haven't mentioned, then please let me know by posting here.

The last couple of posts that I have reserved are for a description of how irregular troops, like us adventurers, contribute to the Horde army.

My intention in writing these notes is that they will provide some useful reference information. Some of us might like to include military lore in our back-stories, and also we might plan some RP around being irregular troops carrying out tasks for the Horde army.
Zanick
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Djinja on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:44 pm

Well done Zanick, lots of work but a great source of information.
Djinja
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:08 am

Fantastic stuff Zanick. That's some serious amount of research you've put in here.

You are all part of Chabat's development into a member of the Horde's irregular fighters, but not many of you may know how Vypra trained and fought to acheive her Blood Guard rank.

It has been hinted at to individuals from time-to-time, but maybe i should finally write the story down...

Vypra
Headhunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:07 am

Very interesting read Smile Once again, you've put together great resource document.
Ryleen
Headhunter

View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top