Heritage of Zandalar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gods and Loa

+3
Djinja
Snicka
Zanick
7 posters

Go down

Gods and Loa Empty Gods and Loa

Post  Zanick Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:34 pm

These days too many trolls forget the old ways. The Darkspears in particular, who have had to change their ways to survive and have been forced into contact with other races, are in most danger of losing their ancient ways.

The spirits, the Loa, are patient, and they move at the pace of Loa, not the living. Faith is needed. But for many trolls the faith is weak, especially after the orcs came, bending Vol'Jin into a debt of honour. There are those that still revere the Loa, and thank them for their good will, but even they have forgotten to fear their anger.

So, perhaps some of the trolls in our guild would find it useful to be reminded of the lore of the Gods and of the Loa.

oOo

THE LORE OF THE GODS & THE LOA

The Trolls draw power for their voodoo magic by performing rituals and invoking the Primal Gods or the Loa. The Loa are spirits that are more powerful than the Elementals, but not as powerful as Gods.

The Primal Gods

The Primal Gods worshipped by the Jungle Trolls are the Five Aspects - Spider, Bat, Snake, Panther and Tiger.

Shadra the Spider,
Inscribed on the Tablet of Theka in Zul'Farrak are the words "Elortha no Shadra, God of Spiders, Mother of Venom, Silk Dancer, Death's Love"
She is also known as the Venom Queen and the Heart Weaver. Her totemic representation is a Spider.
Shadra is dually worshipped, as the patron of creation and order, and as the bringer of death and misery.

Hir'eek the Bat, Guardian of the Night
Hir'reek's totemic representation is a Bat. She is both wise and fearsome. She is a guardian of great knowledge and protector of the Troll Tribes.

Hethiss the Snake
She is Merciless and Cunning. Her totemic representation is a Serpent.
While it could be said that she represents many of the same domains as Shirvallah, they differ in that the Tiger God represents valour in combat and honourable victories, while the Snake Goddess represents dirty tricks, foul manoeuvres, and outright murder.

Beth'ekk the Panther, Hunter of the Dusk and Dawn
Beth’ekk is a wise and patient Loa. Her totemic representation is that of a Panther. She is widely recognized as the most learned amongst the Elder Loa, and is the only one capable of wielding arcane magic. It is said that Beth’ekk the Wise listens and remembers every word said by those teaching the voodoo, and of those learning it.

Shirvallah the Tiger
Inscribed on the Tablet of Theka in Zul'Farrak are the words "Eraka no Kimbul, God of Tigers, Lord of Beasts, King of Cats, the Prey's Doom"
Shirvallah is a great warrior and guardian of the Troll Tribes. When trolls are in battle Shirvallah watches and listens. His totemic representation is a Tiger.
He is both honourable and strong. He is the patron of Hunters, Warriors, Rogues, and Royalty.

The Forest Trolls, who are the remnants of the old Amani Empire, worship Nalorakk, Primal Aspect of the Bear; Halazzi, Primal Aspect of the Lynx; Jan'alai, Primal Aspect of the Dragonhawk; and Akil'zon, Primal Aspect of the Eagle. They also worship Ula-tek, the Goddess of Serpents (it is not certain if Ula-tek is a Primal God or one of the Loa), but it is possible that Ula-tek is the Amani name for Hethiss.

Other Loa

There are hundreds of Loa. Some are only worshipped by particular tribes. But many are known by all of the Jungle Trolls. Many are ancestor trolls who were great in life and who transcended death. They continue to take some interest in the mortal world. The most important of these Loa are listed here.

Mueh'zala, the God of Death, the Harbinger
Inscribed on the Tablet of Theka in Zul'Farrak are the words "Ueetay no Mueh'zala, God of Death, Father of Sleep, Son of Time, the Night's Friend"
Mueh'zala is the Loa that fetches the dead and takes their souls to the domains of Sam'di. Some days Mueh'zala is a hunter. Like the great cats, he only kills the sick and the old, culling the flock. Other days, he is like a farmer, and gathers fallen fruit only.

Legba, Loa of Speed
This cunning fellow is the Loa of travel and speed. He is a master of swift motion. He is sometimes called the Doorkeeper. Legba is a wanderer, and goes where no troll calls him. He has been known to walk anonymously down the roads, cloaked in wispy garb, offering stories and advice to those who would listen. Legba is very wise, and woe to the haughty traveller who chooses not to heed his advice.

Lukou, Loa of Healing and Respite
Lukou is the beautiful Loa of Health and Restoration. She is known to sit by the fountains of Zul and stare into the mortal realms for hours. She is both compassionate and strong, and it is from her that the Troll race is blessed with regenerative powers. It is said that Lukou is there when trolls heal or rest, and she watches them. Lukou is the sister of Shango.

Ogoun, Loa of War
Ogoun is a lesser Loa of War. He is also called the Master of Dark Magic. While the Primal Loa, Shirvallah and Ula'Tek, focus on physical combat, Ogoun operates in the realm of voodoo curses and hexes. Priests dedicated to his name are often able to transform their opponents into frogs and insects. Warriors often pray to Ogoun, the Victorious and Honourable Warrior, to help them win a battle.

Dambala, Loa of Serpents and Treachery
Dambala is the trickster, the betrayer, the traitor serpent. He is a being of great knowledge and power, and he is willing to share this power with mortals . . . for a price.

Sam'di, Loa of Graveyards and the Dead
The sombre Sam'di is the Loa who looks after graveyards and watches over the restful sleep of the dead. The Undead are an abomination unto his name, and priests dedicated to him gain the ability to smite such foes with deadly power.

Shango, Controller of the Realm of Storms.
Shango guards the secrets of lightning and mayhem. Some call him the Loa of chaos, and thunder. Others name him the Loa of Fire, Storms and Lightning. He rides clouds and conjures storms upon the unfaithful. It is said that from his stormcloud Shango sees each troll's every move. Shango is the brother of Lukou who he protects fiercely. In this role he is sometimes called the Raging Brother.

Zanza
Zanza is an Ancient Loa of the Zandalar Tribe. He is sometimes called Zanza The Restless. He appears in ethereal form within one of the many temples in Zul'Gurub. The Arcanums created from the various tomes of ancient Troll magic were stolen from Zanza by the High Elves, and used against his people. The Zandalar Tribe respect and venerate Loa Zanza. With the rebirth of Hakkar the Soulflayer, these Zandalar Trolls pray to Zanza to grant powers to heroes of other races to defeat Hakkar in Zul'Gurub.

oOo

Amongst the less well-known Loa, Zanick remembers a few from her childhood.

Zanick’s mother would call upon Ayizan who is a loa of the marketplace and commerce. Ayizan’s symbol is the palm frond. Her husband is Loko, a loa of healing. He is the patron of healers and plants, especially trees.

Zanick’s father would pray to Agweh, the loa of the sea. He is the Lord and Guardian of the Sea and he rules over fish and aquatic plants. He is the patron loa of fishermen and sailors. Offerings to Agweh are traditionally left on constructed rafts which are floated out to sea.

As a child Zanick was taught to call upon the aid of Agweh’s wife, who is Ezili, the Loa of Love. She is also called Queen of the Moon. She is often depicted as a scarred and buxom troll woman, holding a child protectively in one hand and a knife in the other. She is a warrior and particularly a fierce protector of women and children.

oOo

Other Gods

Hakkar the Soulflayer
Hakkar is a powerful entity in the history of Azeroth. According to the Zandalar Troll Melthor he is a Faceless One. Others believe that he is one of the Old Gods that ruled Azeroth in the ancient past. He is a vile, bloodthirsty spirit and is often called the Blood God. He demands blood sacrifices from his followers in exchange for dark powers. He is vengeful and angry. The Wind Serpents are his cousins and their spirits are linked to him.

[Since most jungle trolls are all too aware of the story of Hakkar's involvement with the Gurubashi Empire, no more need be said of him here.]

If you have any comments on this, or if your troll remembers being taught the lore of the Gods and Loas differently, then please reply to this post.

Last edited by on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zanick
Zanick
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Gods and Loa Empty Re: Gods and Loa

Post  Snicka Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:09 pm

This is a must-be-read to every troll, especially for religious leaders such as priests and shamans. Thank you very much for posting it.
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

http://heritageofzuljin.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Djinja Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:28 am

Really interesting essay Zanick, very useful info for backstories.

Djinja.
Djinja
Djinja
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:57 am

As far as I know, the primal gods worshipped by the Amani are given names now, as they're four of the six bosses in Zul'Aman. According to WoWWiki, the bear is called Narolakk, the eagle is Akil'zon, the lynx is Halazzi and, finally, the dragonhawk is called Jan'alai.
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanick Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Many thanks, boss. I have updated my notes to include the names of the Primal Aspects worshipped by the forest trolls.
Zanick
Zanick
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vypra Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Its seems there is now a little information on the Loa worshipped by the Drakkari:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Loa

Sseratus, the Serpent.
Har'koa, the Leopard.
Rhunok, the Arctic Bear.
Quetz'lun, the Wind serpent.
Mam'toth, the Mammoth.
Akali, the Rhino
Vypra
Vypra
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:04 pm

All trolls seem to have a serpent deity. Ula-tek for the forest trolls, Hethiss for the jungle trolls and Sseratus for the arctic trolls (are there snakes on Northrend by the way? I don't think so). Are these Loa one and the same, or separate gods appearing in similar primal aspect?
Also, there's a wind serpent god among the drakkari Loa. As far as I remember, Hakkar (may his name be ever cursed) appears also in the form of a wind serpent, both in the Sunken Temple and Zul'Aman. Is it possible that Quetz'lun is the Blood God himself?
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryleen Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:50 am

Muiki the loa of the skies.
Muiki is related to the passing time and watches over the sun and moon in the sky. Her gentle hand lifts the sun from beyond the horizon in the morning, to warm the world and bring light to the world. Originally only tasked with lighting the day and making the days pass, she could not bear the darkness of the night. Agweh heard of her sorrow and gifted her with a pearl from the dephts of the sea. She hold it in her hand and infused it with her power, making if burn with a inner light. The pearl was put in the heavens, and she now guides it across the sky when the sun if out of sight.

((Made up for tonight's sparrow event. Making loas are fun. I think I'll do it again some time Smile ))
Ryleen
Ryleen
Headhunter

http://aldriona.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Fri May 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Gods and Loa Loa10
That's how I depict the six Shadow Hunter Loa. You can guess which is which. (Solutions here: http://wearelegion.forumakers.com/random-carp-f18/the-loa-snicka-s-sketch-t1190.htm)
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:46 pm

I just noticed that Shadra is called "Death's Love". Does that mean that she's the love interest of Mueh'Zala or Sam'di?
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanick Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:12 pm

No, I don't think so.

Shadra is one of the Elder Loa, a Primal God. Mueh'zala and Samdi are both Lesser Loa. As I read recently: "The five Primal Loa are eternal; they were, they are, and they will be, all at once. The Lesser Loa were once trolls who became gods through their actions." **

I can't imagine that one of the mystical primal god-like forces would have any sort of romantic attachment with the spirit of a troll from ancient times, however powerful and god-like that spirit may have become. They are on two different levels, perhaps they are on two different planes of existence.

Personally, I think that Shadra is given the name 'Death's Love' more as a title to describe her nature. If Death itself did exist as a sentient entity (not just a Loa of Death such as Mueh'zala), then it would surely love the Spider Goddess for sending so many creatures into it's realm.

I hope that makes some sense. I was so sure I knew what I was saying when I started this post, but as I wrote more, I've become less certain!

Last edited by Zanick on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zanick
Zanick
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanick Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:20 pm

** A player who uses the character name Destron has written a series of really good stories describing his travels around all of the regions of Azeroth (and the Outland too, I think). Here is the link to his story about Stranglethorn Vale which includes some interesting ideas about the Zandalari trolls and about Gods and Loa. It's worth a read.

http://destron.blogspot.com/2007/10/stranglethorn-vale.html
Zanick
Zanick
Headhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:22 pm

There's one example in the lore, actually, of a Primal loa being the mate of a lesser being (a spirit beast):
Har'koa, the Snow Leopard, goddess of the Drakkari trolls is the mate of Loque'nahak, who is a simple spirit in the form of a snow leopard.
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  Snicka Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:35 pm

I just read on WoWWiki of the troll deities Zim'Rhuk, Zim'Abwa and Zim'Torga - apparently worshipped the Drakkari trolls, also respected by the Zandalari, each having a village named after them.
I wonder what they are? Not primal gods (the Drakkari have six of those) - are they lesser gods like Lukou and Dambala, or ancestor spirits like Zanza? I also wonder what "Zim" means in their name - most likely it is a title, and the gods are themselves called only Rhuk, Abwa, and Torga. Or maybe it means "village", and Zim'Torga, for example, means "village of Torga"?
Snicka
Snicka
Warlord

Back to top Go down

Post  shadowtroll Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:50 pm

This is too much speculation for me here Smile After all Blizzard has not created real fantasy languages (this sounds complicated!) like Tolkien did in LoTR.

But ye it might be a explanation, probably titles if we compare it with the prefix Zul.
shadowtroll
shadowtroll
Headhunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82K_C4Rnctc

Back to top Go down

Post  Euphrati Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:21 pm

The troll Pantheon

http://www.wowwiki.com/Loa#The_troll_pantheon_.28The_Loa_gods.29

29 loas
3 high prophets
8 high priests